Not dye related, but bleach...

everkutz

I need a yellow variegated yarn, preferably in Simply Soft. Has anyone tried to gently bleach a skein of Simply Soft? I am thinking about a diluted bleach solution, dripped here and there throughout the yarn--I would wrap the skein around a chair to get the yarn strands all out and about and then place in an open pan--like the dye process, but bleaching instead. Anyone follow me or am I nuts? :yes Would this work or ruin a skein of good cheap yarn? :think

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

If it's synthetic (and I think Simply Soft is acrylic), it won't take dye OR bleach out....

If you have something natural, that's already dyed, (depending on the dye and the strenght of the bleach and...) like cotton maybe, bleach will often (some of the chemical dyes don't bleach out very easily though) let you bleach out in a pattern. I have a cotton skirt from Thailand where the yarn was dyed in varigated blue, and then woven into the fabric and then PRINTED with bleach... so there is a white pattern on top of the blue pattern of the weave.

I made a mesh bag to hold the wet washcloths until wash day. I toss it in and bleach it with the washcloths every week and it's still RedHeart Linen color. The washcloths that started out as pastels are now white but the yarn still has it's color.

Yeah socks are almost always some kind of cotton blend or wool blend, and sport socks are usually something like 70% or more cotton.

If socks are full synthetic, most peoples' feet get too hot/wet... and that can be very gross...

• 2 weeks later...

I have used yarn to tie reed together when dyeing and it didnt dye. It was Red Heart brand and it was a white color, it was a 100 % acrylic. You could possibly try a dyeable yarn, like Knit picks carries ( but its wool ) and then do your dying. I do alot of space dyed reed, but have never done any yarn that way.... atleast not yet!

Doey

hmmm, something to try...I tiedyed some cones of peaches and creme (after winding it into long hanks) and haven't decided what to do with it....I could "scatter bleach" it...that looks like fun. (Still have to decide what to make though :laughroll)

Archived