Question about stashes:

My sister travels all over the state for her job, and when she gets off work, she hunts down the fabric and hobby stores. I have loads of stuff that she brings back that she finds on sale. I guess this is good.

The bad part is that I don't know what to do with it all. I have been hunting for two days to find something to make with a particular yarn. I've got five skeins of green Bernat satin sport, and I can't find anything to make.

The Bernat site isn't any help because they only offer patterns for afghans and caps for that particular yarn. I don't have enough to make an afghan, and I've got enough hair for me and two other people, so I don't need a cap.

I don't want to make a scarf or a shawl, since this isn't the only small amounts of yarn that I have, but I might have to break down and get on with it.

When I look at the pattern index pages, they don't give the numbers (like this yarn is a "3"), before you open the link, so I could spend quite some time trying to find say, a vest pattern, that requires a 3 yarn.

I realize that this is a high-end problem, but I'm a low-end person, and I'm confuzzled nigh unto death. Is there a website where you can put in your amount of yarn, and size and it will pop out some stuff you can make?

:think

What about making 12" squares for an afghan. This would use up the yarn and give you colorful squares to put together. Or, you could make up 12", 8", ??" squares to have on hand to send to others when they request them.

Other than that scarves would be my choice.

I haven't seen a site quite like you are talking about, but man, what a great idea.

Anyway, let's brainstorm - you've got 5 skeins of Bernat Satin Sport, so that's about 1100 yds.

If you can do up a gauge swatch for me, in single crochet, and tell me your stitches per inch, I have a guide that will show what sort of items you can make with that much yarn. Not exact patterns, but it'll give you an idea of where to start.

Just a 2"x2" square is enough to see.

Just on a quick, guessing gauge glance, maybe a vest or tank top? A purse with a lining (as I've heard the yarn is splitty?). An amigurumi?

Well - if you belong to Ravelry, you can do a search for patterns by yarn size. I've used this when I wanted to substitute yarns but wasn't sure of the original yarn specs.

How about a simple, elegant, capelet worked in the round from the neck down in double crochet to about the elbows, trimmed in shell stitches at the bottom and the top? Or a shawl? A hoody type scarf? Wrist warmers? Leg warmers (they are coming back in style!)? Slippers? A handbag? A double crochet vest (from the 70s)? Here is an easy pattern: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/cms-vest.html - Try Lionbrand.com for more free patterns in sport weight (you may have to register to get them tho). I would google some sport weight patterns...it should work out the same, no? How about some doll clothes for a little girl you know?

Some yarn sites have yarn switchers. You know you have size 3 which is a light (DK or light WW) so you'd choose that and see what comes up.

Lionbrand has a substitutions page.

Or use the yarndex:

http://yarndex.com/

Then you can look at patterns for the yarns you come up with. Not a perfect solution but it does open up a variety of patterns for you.

:)

Thanks bunches! I have about flitted myself into a temper, because I couldn't figure out how to look up what I needed.

I wasn't all that hyped about doing a shawl; sister had brought 11 skeins of baby black light, and I just yesterday finished up a half-granny square shawl. I get restless working on the same stuff, so I'm trying to "vary my diet", so to speak.

I looked at that Lion Brand "hippie" vest yesterday, so I'm going to take that as a sign, and work on that, I think.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

:hug

Archived