Anyone with hand pain remedies??

I have a ganglion cyst on my right index finger joint closest to the hand which hurts a bit but is tolerable. But, both of my wrists are feeling really weak and my pinkie and ring finger on my left hand get numb sometimes. I am so afraid that I won't be able to crochet anymore if I don't find something to fix these problems. Somewhere I read that vitamin B6 helps with joint/muscle issues. Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I have decided to limit crocheting to two half-hour sessions, or so, each day.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Caroline

If it hurts to crochet, then stop crocheting for several days to a week.

If the pain is so bad that you cannot use your hand to do normal everyday activities (other than crochet), then go to your doctor.

I totally understand about wanting to keep crocheting when you're in pain, I've done that, but if it hurts that bad, the first thing you need to do is rest your hand and go to the doctor.

Do not ignore pain. It's there for a reason.

When I said "rest it", I meant "REST IT!".

Pain is a sign that something is wrong. It could be just a strain, a sprain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or something else.

I said the same thing in another thread on another forum a few months back and the person didnt want to rest it, she wanted to keep crocheting, but kept complaining that it hurt and kept wanting to know techniques to make it stop hurting...apparently she didnt like my suggestion.

I just want to warn people that if it hurts. Stop doing whatever it is that's making it hurt. There's no technique to making the pain stop (other than pain medications and possibly therapy...surgery if it's carpel tunnel)

If you keep using an arm/hand that hurts, you risk doing further damage, and some damage from carpal tunnel syndrome can be permanent.

I'm not trying to tick people off by telling them not to crochet, but just telling you basically what a doctor is going to tell you.

Caroline I know your pain exactly! I had ganglion cysts in both of my wrist joints and at times the pain was unberable.

And I'm afraid with ganglions they will only get worse if you continue to do repetitive motions, such as crochet.

The solution is fairly simple. I had mine ruptured then removed. It's done under local anaesthetic and I noticed the relief immediately!

In the mean time, until you get yourself fixed, I would recommend to stop crocheting, which is very hard.

Aside from that (I had to work doing data entry at the time, so I had to find ways to manage the pain), I would suggest getting wrist supports. Not just the thermal things, you need ones that immobolise the affected joint. I also used a cream we have in Australia called "A Little Bit of Relief"...it's like a peppermint/menthol gel you rub in. Also, I soaked my arms/hands/wrists often in nice warm water.

You are right Erin. I should have left it at your wise words.

It is not a joke and not something in which denial will get you anywhere.

I've done the marathon crocheting before, and done more than just make my hands hurt. I ended up with tendonitis in both my elbows (yes, both...at the same time) and somehow, I strained the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. (yes, at the same time as the sore hands/wrist, and tendonitis elbows) and on top of that, I had back and hip pain from sitting in a single position for too long...and then I ignored the pain and kept trying to crochet.

Stupid me...and this was after I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand. (I have CTS in both wrists, only had surgery on one tho)

Now I dont ignore pain as much as I did before...except my back. I know what's causing my current back pain (MS) and I've got some really wonderful antispasmodic meds for that.

I was apparently the queen of over-doing it. I still get tendonitis in my shoulders very easily now. (that might be an MS thing tho) But, I so totally understand the compulsion to sit and crochet for hours and hours and hours and hours and hours. I still sit and crochet (and now knit) too much and have to force myself to let my body rest.

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate your suggestions. We are leaving for a long weekend to NC tomorrow and I will leave the crocheting at home. That will give me 5 days rest and we'll see what happens. The most bothersome problem I have is the weak feeling in my wrists - it doesn't hurt but is very uncomfortable - feels weird!!

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens when I get back.

Caroline

It sounds as though you have Carpal Tunnel - I also have it, had surgery, didn't help, my dr. has recomended 100 mg of B6 a day to help, and it does, I also wear a wrist brace now and then. There are new heat wraps available OTC for arthritis that I have tried and they do help, especially if I wear them while I crochet. You should definitely see your own dr. of course, but these are some things that have helped me.

I switch back and forth between loom knitting and crochet projects, and I'd been idle for a couple of months..so wouldn't getting my hands in 'shape' be part of the cause for the extra aches and pains, just as we often experience muscle pain when we start a new workout routine? I've been using three strands on the loom instead of the normal two, and noticed I was putting more strain on my hands, particularly my thumbs..so that's when I started switching off with a crochet project. I like the variety anyway, but I'm still wondering if I should rest a few days after this current crochet project is done( I only have three more long rows left anyway). That will give me time to plot out the next few projects and buy more yarn:hook

I've found accupuncture to be great for my carpal tunnel when I abuse my hands.

Don't go to someone who offers it in conjunction with their primary practice -- go to someone who's entire practice is accunpuncture.

My "cure" seems to be surfing the net. I browse for ages through all the crochet sites and drool over the things I'd love to make and never do. I have bad arthritis so any handwork is killing but I still do a bit, short sessions only. My other love is machine knitting and I can still do that though the finishing is hard on the hands and wrists. Zaraliz

Archived