Do I need a yarn spinner?????

Just need some advice. I purchase 7 hanks of classic flash yarn and I wanted to know can I crochet from the hanks or should I buy a yarn spinner and turn them into balls before I crochet with it??? Thanks for your reply for I never own yarn in hanks only in skeins, :manyheart

You really don't have to invest in a yarn winder to use hanks of yarn. Simply put it on the back of a chair, and either roll it into a ball, or use it that way.

:manyheart

I ordered a yarn winder and tried to use it and it just drove me personally crazy, so I gave it to a family member who had no problems using it...I roll my yarn into center pull balls...doesn't take me that long to do it...

So short answer is no, you don't have to buy a yarn winder unless you want to...and if you do, I hope it works well for you!

You need to wind the hanks and skeins of yarn into balls to work with them. If you have the patience and a chair or someone to hold the yarn, you can do it without a ball winder. Personally I love my ball winder, but sometimes hate the tangled way the skeins were wound in the first place.

I'm a bit of a gadget geek, so of course I had to get a yarn swift (to hold the skeins) and a ball winder. I do like them, but agree that they are definitely not a 'must have'. Before I got my gadgets, I draped the hank of yarn over my computer screen and rolled up balls of yarn.

Joan

How is this done?

I had always rolled my balls by hand, but never thought about making them center (or centre for our British and Canadian friends) balls until I was reading Stitch and *itch Crochet book...basically it's the same concept, just that before you start winding by hand, leave a tail of about 6 to 8 inches out (that will be your center pull) and roll around that, not too tight until you have your ball. I was so excited the first time I rolled up a center pull ball by hand and it WORKED that I just wondered why I hadn't thought of that in the first place...so thank you SNB!

Archived