cables! wee!

I love when I end up making myself try new stitches! I decided to try out a cabled scarf but of course had never ever done the fpdc or bpdc or any such thing. Thankfully, I have several crochet books on hand to teach me this since the pattern didn't tell me how. I think I restarted that thing 5 times in this pretty dusky rose caron 1 lb yarn. I restarted it in a sterling silver brush acrylic and am now in absolute love with how it looks. SO professional! :D

Oh.... this is the pattern and really good for if you are just starting those front posts at the least! http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/pdf/cablescarf.pdf

It really is a good starting pattern, at least in my opinion. :hook

I used Caron Dazzle Aire. My fiancee's father picked a bunch of it (well 3-4 skeins in 3 colors, including the silver grey I'm using). I love it and wish they still made it! It kind of makes it look like a natural really rich animal type yarn.

Cute! I tried to do a crocheted cable scarf once a few weeks ago and couldn't make it work fast enough for me, so I gave up. I might just have to try again. The site you shared also has a pattern for a cute afghan out of hexagon grannies, very cool looking!

Congratulations! I LOVE cables. I'm working on one of Crochet Garden's awesome cable scarves right now. It's slow going because it's double-sided, but I love it. An acquaintance saw me working on it last week and was shocked--"You can crochet CABLES?" she said. She is a crocheter, too, but now primarily a knitter, and had no idea it was possible in crochet. She thought it was the coolest thing.

Edit to add: Thanks for that link!! I printed off one of those patterns a few months ago, but I did not realize it was a new PBS show. I've just written to my local stations to ask them to add it. What a cool show!!!

I hope you'll share a pic of yours when it's done. I just started this scarf too. I'm familiar with how to do fp & bp stitches but have never crocheted cables before. I started with a blue color caron & I didn't like it so now I'm trying a swatch with a RH light brown color.

Still not sure if this is the yarn I'll use but I may keep going. It is really slow going with making the cables. I guess it gets faster once you're used to the pattern?

last month i did one of the reversible cabled scaves from crochet garden. the thread is here . i love the end product. her designs were my first venture into crocheting cables. now i am hooked. the pack so much wow factor in a finished product. i still have to do the matching hat.

thanks for sharing the link. i have printed it and added it to my to do binder.

Nadine

kazily--Once I got the pattern down it went a thousand times faster. The pattern I chose (and I'm use most others!) just repeats over and over. Once I memorized the lines and pattern, which kind of happens after so many repeats!, I can just speed right through it. I think if I had worked straight on it, a 3 oz skein took me probably about 3-4 hours to do but i've been working on it a little bit over several days. And maybe it would have taken someone else a bit quicker but I can get obsessive over my stitches at times which takes up time. :lol

Now, I need to get enough yarn to do a wrap I saw at the Caron website. As soon as I saw it AND saw it looked perfect with it's cables, I knew it was on the "NEED TO DO" list! http://caron.com/projects/ss_heather/CN0995_cabled_wrap.html

Here is that pattern if anyone is interested.

I saw the booklet "63 Cable Stitches to Crochet" at JoAnn Fabric's. It's by Leisure Arts. Does anyone have this book, and do you like it? I put it on my Christmas list. :)

If I recall right I think there might have been a CAL started with that book, "63 Cable Stitches to Crochet". I don't know if it is still going on but there is that chance so I know SOMEONE on the board has it!

Archived