What is a nappy cake?

"Nappy" is what people in England call a diaper. I've been to some baby showers where someone will bring a "diaper cake" where they've opened the box or bag of diapers, wound them around in a layer cake shape, and tied with ribbon, putting other items like baby powder, wipes, bibs, etc. in the middle.

I was going to do a crocheted one but decided not to for my friend (I made enough stuff, probably). She did receive a regular one though. Very nice. She didn't open it it was so nice, plus she could see everything since it was in clear cellephone. The lady said she used big rubber bands for the diapers to keep them in a circle, they were all individually circled and then in one big one on the bottom.

I believe there is a "pattern" for an intricate one on the Lion Brand site ... it included diapers, washcloths, crocheted layettes, booties etc ... gorgeous!

Just google Lion Brand

I think I saw one on "Sex and the City". I was quite baffled by it to begin with, but actually the principle behind it is quite common here in India. ( Not for nappies, but bridal trousseaus.

Archived