how is this scrap??

I was at wal-mart today and they had some crochet books on clearance, one of them was Scrap Afghans for all. :clap i have been coveting this book secretly for months now. So I buy it and get home, open it up and start reading. almost all the afghans say you need around 2500+ yards to make these afghans :think umm how is that scrap?? :sigh I mean technically i could use what I have on hand and really just have a total hodgpodge of colors, but I am thinking wow over 2000 yards is hardly scrap. sometimes I wonder about those publishers.

I was just at JoAnns today and looked at a booklet called Scrap Afghans but when I looked at all the pictures they used quite a lot of each color but the design was just made in bits and pieces changing colors frequently. To me that's not a scrap afghan....I'm thinking more like the Rainbow granny afghans where you just use up all the ends of what's left over.

I was at wal-mart today and they had some crochet books on clearance, one of them was Scrap Afghans for all. :clap i have been coveting this book secretly for months now. So I buy it and get home, open it up and start reading. almost all the afghans say you need around 2500+ yards to make these afghans :think umm how is that scrap?? :sigh I mean technically i could use what I have on hand and really just have a total hodgpodge of colors, but I am thinking wow over 2000 yards is hardly scrap. sometimes I wonder about those publishers.

I can do scrap afghans without having to re-use a color that often. Heck, I did a huge scrap shawl earlier this year, and it barely made a dent in my scrap stash (most of my yarn is currently scrap, I cant afford to buy new yarn all that often)

But, then I used to work at WalMart, and Hobby Lobby and kind of overbought yarn a lot. 6yrs later, I still have scrap yarn that the yarn companies have discontinued years ago. I love scrap afghans, they usually turn out the best.

I think too it's the way they are pictured, they are showing the same five colors thru out the afghan, plus they say we used five colors see our list. kwim. they should say use what you have on hand..

I think too it's the way they are pictured, they are showing the same five colors thru out the afghan, plus they say we used five colors see our list. kwim. they should say use what you have on hand..

No one says that you have to use scrap to make the afghans...plus, when the designer(s) was/were designing the afghans, the pattern companies probably supplied the yarn to them, and they probably specified they wanted those specific colors for the examples.

I have noticed this about several "scrap" patterns I've looked at lately. To me, the word "scraps" means literally that - small amounts of yarn left over from other projects. The patterns that I have looked at call for up to 25 ounces of certain colors, which is FAR more than "scrap" amounts. It seems that the term "scrap afghan" these days refers to an afghan that consists of many colors, but not necessarily small amounts of those colors.

Elle

The problem with this is that some of the prettier patterns wouldn't look like the examples if we used what we have on hand, because the way the patterns show the colors playing off of each other, to use different colors would ruin the effect that was achieved by the pattern. For instance, if an afghan is calling for different shades of purple graduating from dark violet to light lavender, all held together by black, if all you have is a bunch of different colors of, say, variegated yarns, none of which have blue in them, and all you have enough of to do the connecting crochet is a royal blue, your afghan is never going to look like it's supposed to according to the pattern.

Elle

Here's the book with pictures of the afghans:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CROCHET-SCRAP-AFGHANS-FOR-ALL-7-STUNNING-DESIGNS-NEW_W0QQitemZ200150335773QQihZ010QQcategoryZ146336QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

The problem with this is that some of the prettier patterns wouldn't look like the examples if we used what we have on hand, because the way the patterns show the colors playing off of each other, to use different colors would ruin the effect that was achieved by the pattern.

I totally see what you're saying. On the other hand looking at those pictures, I think it'd be fine to use scraps. The one on the cover does use about a 7 color repeat. However you could just stripe it how you wanted or a different color for every row and never repeat other than maybe the black. It'd turn out fine.

Of course they wouldn't be the 'same' as in the book but they'd be just as interesting.

As for scrap, I think they could be referring to anything that you've used a little yarn out of. I bought one skien of maroon for a one row of color in a head band I made. Now I have an almost full skein left and nothing to do with it. I could use it, and other skiens I have in one of these afghans and it'd be a 'scrap' afghan.

:)

My idea of a scrap afghan is the Stained glass afghan that had a CAL going here for a while or the Yo-yo scrap ghan that I have seen on the net.

Very few of these could be done with whatever scraps you have on hand and look good when they are done. I do wonder what is behind the thinking in something like this.

Do they just know that crocheters are a forgiving lot and if the afghans are pretty enough - or whatever - that we will just say :2nono :grump and get on with making the patterns? (and buying the book :wlol )

My idea of a scrap afghan is the Stained glass afghan that had a CAL going here for a while or the Yo-yo scrap ghan that I have seen on the net.

Very few of these could be done with whatever scraps you have on hand and look good when they are done. I do wonder what is behind the thinking in something like this.

Do they just know that crocheters are a forgiving lot and if the afghans are pretty enough - or whatever - that we will just say :2nono :grump and get on with making the patterns? (and buying the book :wlol )

i know it is sad, i complain yet I still got the book. :lol i guess i just can't help myself.

Archived