thead question

uboo64

after viewing the beautiful work done in thread, I just wondered if someone could suggest a begginer project?

I have a pattern for a Christening gown, but think it would be better to start off smaller..

also any suggestions on what thread would be good for beginners? I have heard a lot about #10..I don't want to go too thin for my first project..and I have no idea what a #10 looks like:)

thanks so much for any advice.

:cheer good for you girl to start working with THREAD. It can be as addictive as yarn!!! & i think you are right to start out with some cheaper #10 thread & either a #6 or 7 steel hook. (i prefer #6 but MOST use 7) i'm a pretty TIGHT crocheter.LOL. if i were you i would start out with some SMALL, simple doilies. ( that's actually what i learned on when i was about 8/9 yrs old) LONG time ago.LOL. there are a LOT of doily patterns on the "net". you shouldn't have any trouble finding some. i love to use small flat doilies in summer to set my bud vases on!!! again good luck . show us some pics when you get some done. :yay judy

thank-you, I really can't wait to try, one more question? do you weave in ends and such the same way as if you were using yarn?

I may try a doillie or a pair of baby maryjanes, probably both lol..I love the look of the thread work.

It's just about the same. Holding the tension will take a little practice. Can't wait to see your projects!

Hey I know you lol...I can't wait, just going to finish up your CAL and get started on something

Barb!!!!

You're sprung!!!!

Trust me! The Christening Gown in thread is not as hard as you may think !!!! :devil

Try this :

chain 103. Double crochet in the first 12, shell,* Dc in the next 25, shell,* repeat * to * twice, dc in remaining ch...

Then DC in each dc, shell in the ch2 space of shell.... keep going for 15 rows and you've made the first part of a plain bodice.

How about trying a couple of squares to get the hand feel and maybe a doily???

size #10 is only a little finer than 3ply baby yarn.

Its ok - really! you're always a better crochetier than you think you are:2hug

Manda

Barb!!!!

You're sprung!!!!

Trust me! The Christening Gown in thread is not as hard as you may think !!!! :devil

Try this :

chain 103. Double crochet in the first 12, shell,* Dc in the next 25, shell,* repeat * to * twice, dc in remaining ch...

Then DC in each dc, shell in the ch2 space of shell.... keep going for 15 rows and you've made the first part of a plain bodice.

How about trying a couple of squares to get the hand feel and maybe a doily???

size #10 is only a little finer than 3ply baby yarn.

Its ok - really! you're always a better crochetier than you think you are:2hug

Manda

<hiding head and hook in shame> you little brat you caught me, I also ordered a pattern from Rebecca Leigh for a little dress done in thread, so would that be meeting you half way?

btw I sent you my home e-mail addy :)

Sometimes if you are new to thread the best bet is to take a small project that you made in yarn and make it in thread.

This way, you know what it is suppose to look like and it gives you a chance to practice.:hook

Sometimes if you are new to thread the best bet is to take a small project that you made in yarn and make it in thread.

This way, you know what it is suppose to look like and it gives you a chance to practice.:hook

ooo what a good idea! i will have to remeber that when i have time to try out the thread i bought a month ago!

A lot of people like to start with small projects, Like bookmarkers, coasters, or snowflakes. There are a lot of patterns out there for these projects. Try here. http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/index.php Thread is wonderful once you get used to the size. I use a tapestry needle to sew my ends in with. It only takes minute or so to do.

You should be warned though Thread has been known to be a addictive substance. Try it at your own risk........:devil

i started with a coaster....it took forever but by the time I was done with it it made other thread projects a lot easier. i knocked out a bookmark in abut 2 hours or so.

i used size 10 thread with a 6 steel hook. the 6 steel just works better for me than the 7.

oh yeah.....don't get discouraged if your piece looks off. my bookmark looked horrid until i blocked it and now it looks pretty good.

after viewing the beautiful work done in thread, I just wondered if someone could suggest a begginer project?

I have a pattern for a Christening gown, but think it would be better to start off smaller..

also any suggestions on what thread would be good for beginners? I have heard a lot about #10..I don't want to go too thin for my first project..and I have no idea what a #10 looks like:)

thanks so much for any advice.

#10 is the thread size. It's also called bedspread cotton in some of the online shops I use.

I agree with everybody when they say to start with a doily. That was also my first thread project and it didn't take too long.

If you are interested, PM or e-mail me your address and I would be happy to send some of my beginner patterns as I have a large stash of them.

Sheryl

wow thanks so much everyone, I just got my patterns in the mail from Rebecca Leigh, today...as much as I would love to dive into one of her beautiful creations I think I will start with something smaller..

I just have a CAL to finish up..and I have to hunt down the thread, not sure if Michaels carries it or not..

Sheryl I will pm you my address and thanks so much for your kindess :)

Just an update, I did go to Michaels today and bought some #10 thread, when I asked the nice lady in the store to direct me to crochet thread, I was sure she thought I had asked where the dental floss was after seeing the thiness of the thread.. This would be a visual of my eyes when I realized the "dental floss" was acutally crochet thread O.O

SherylJak has very kindly offered to send me some patterns to get me started..so generous and kind :hug

I may fuss around this evening doing a chain and some rounds to get the feel of the floss, I mean thread :D

you are right Manda, I was up at 6am and thought I'd give it a go, I have a Rebecca Leigh pattern for a little baby dress, called Apple Blossom...so here is my frist attempt and I am very happy with it, and can see becoming addicted to thread crochet. I am using a 2.75 mm hook and periwinkle #10 thread...2 strands

Here is the start of the dress bodice../neckline

thanks everyone who encouraged me to try this, and especailly Sheryljak :hug

tmpphpfTwPTw.jpg

thanks Manda and thanks for getting me into this..I finshed the bodice tonight, and will start on the dress it's self tomorrow..I am surprised how much I got done...I do find I can't work on it for the same length of time I would a yarn project.

thanks for asking Manda :) been sick with a sinus infection so I left it alone for a few days but started up again today this is the bodice with the openings for the sleeves, and now working in rounds on the dress...I am very happy with it.

tmpphpWFIC1d.jpg

thank you both so much..I can handle the two strands not sure how I would do with one and a smaller hook..I will have to find patterns that use a bit larger hook I think.

I bought a 1.5mm last night, I think it would come in handy for cleaning ants ears or something. :laughroll

thanks for the get well wishes Manda...I am trying to give it a go without taking anti-biodics, lots of vitamins and water.

Barb - wait til you go extreme and buy a .6mm and then seriously wonder how hard it would be to sweet talk your dentist into filing it down even finer for you....

My mother would tell you Garlic tablets...

Manda

Archived