do you give crochet away/or sell?

Most of the things that I have made have been given away as presents. Barbie clothes for nieces, and now Dora clothes for the two youngest nieces. I have a special blanket for each of my sons, but mainly things are given away as presents.

What people insist paying for - girlfriends who would like dolls clothes for their daughters etc, I ask them just to buy me some replacement yarn and if they would like they can make a donation to the Hospital Auxilliary (I am the Treasurer - we only have a small 8 bed hospital that we fight to keep open because the next nearest hospital is 1 1/2 hours away). This way I get the pleasure of making the item, I get my wool replaced and then the hospital gets a small donation. Everybody wins.

People have wanted to pay me, but I figure I'm going to be crocheting anyway, I may as well have something in particular to crochet, right?

-=Kris=-

:yarn

Yeah, but how 'bout what you will (should be) paid may be used to replenish stock if nothing else. Shooot, girl, you better go get yours . . . . PAID! :yes

I make things with the thought that I will stock pile them and sell them at a flea market or at Christmas sales. But, it seems that every time I make something, there is a baby being born, someone has troubles in their life, or a death and there they go. I don't mind giving my treasures away, and so far everyone really appreciates it. A dear friend of mine died 2 months ago, and while she was in the hospital, a week before she died, I gave her a prayer shawl. She never got to enjoy it, but her husband asked if he could keep it. He wraps up in it when he misses her, because it was my arms around her, and now he says he feels that there are 2 pairs of arms holding him.

I have never sold a thing. It would become WORK if I crochetted to sell.

I give away and donate almost everything I make. Occasionally I make an afghan for myself or family member.

I have had people pay for the yarn on a project too.

Most of what I crochet is given away as gifts. I have made items upon special request and charged for those items, yarn costs and labor. Those items have mostly been baby blankets. I will ask $50 - $60 for a good-sized baby afghan, and will charge family and close friends for yarn only if they special-request an item.

I made a ribbon shawl for my sister this year. She located the pattern she wanted me to use, but didn't want to pay $10 a ball for the ribbon yarn the pattern called for. I offered to find a substitute yarn, but she went to the store on her own and chose the worst yarn I've ever worked with. :( I quit partway into the project and told her that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving this to anyone. It was brown/gray with some sort of metallic thread running through it, and parts of it were puffy and looked like dustbunnies, and parts of it were like dental floss. Butt-ugliest stuff! :eek She went out then and bought Homespun yarn, which was not at all suitable for the project, either. It was too heavy and certainly wouldn't have draped propertly. I felt badly, but it totally turned me off this project. It went from fall colors for 2006 into spring colors for 2007, I never picked it up again until I saw some ribbon yarn on sale on Herrschner's website and bought enough myself to make the poncho. I sent it to her when it was finished and she said she's received a lot of compliments on it when she wears it. If only she'd trusted my judgement and let me purchase the yarn the first time! I didn't charge her anything else for the poncho. I kept the leftover Homespun and may find a project for it in the future. The butt-ugly stuff? Partial poncho and leftovers in the garbage - I hope she doesn't read this. :lol

I always give mine away,hats,scarfs to soup kitchens,preemie hats ,blankets,and booties to hospitals,prayer cloths and prayer shawls,lapghans to seniors and soup kitchens and i am thinking of doing slippers for womens shelters.

I've been crocheting for almost 50 years (Yikes! I can't believe I'm that old!), and I've kept probably fewer than a dozen things for myself in all those years. Most things go to charity–to a local shop where sales benefit community programs, or to a hospital charity my sister volunteers for that provides clothes for newborns. The rest goes to friends or family if they express an interest, or if I know they love whatever I'm making at the time.

I've never sold anything, altho I've made some things for people who pay for the yarn. I've been told that I should sell my stuff, but, as somebody else said in this thread, then it would become a job, and I'd quickly lose interest.

I have never sold anything I have ever made. I have always given to someone as a gift. I love to crochet so much that it would take the fun out of it, if it were to become my job. I wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of it. I love making things and surprising the person I'm giving it to with it.:yarn

A lot of what I make is for myself, or family, and I have to admit that I do put aside crocheting for months at a time. Either I get burned out, or just do something different. I've never sold anything I make...wouldn't know what to charge.

I know that most people who don't craft don't appreciate the time and work we put into making something, and I can't seem to get enough finished projects together at one time to try selling any. I just enjoy it, and enjoy making something for family members. Sometimes I will make an item not knowing who will end up with it.

I'm not into making toys and household items much, but I used to make a few. I did make my sister a towel topper and dishcloth set a few years ago. She crocheted for a few years, but started quilting and doesn't do much else.

My husband does a lot of woodworking and has sold a lot of things...but never makes much of a profit, because no one will pay what his time and talent is worth. So I decline to try to sell anything!

Archived