Project Linus

Tena

I really want to help this organization, but there is no drop offs near me! Of course, I could send them, but I was really hoping for a chapter in my town. I had even been in contact with a couple chapter coordinators a little ways away about my area, but they told me there isn't one. However, one did point me in the direction of another group in my area to donate to, Binkie Patrol, but I still want to donate to PL and wish there was a chapter in my area. I may still send blankets to them anyways, though, to another chapter.

Mamarose, in the past, some of the facilities that participated in our PL system did not need blankets, but since our chapter supplies blankets to over a dozen different charities and organizations, we have no problem finding a home for the blankets. Our chapter is very large and has several team leaders who are responsible for delivery, and they talk to the recipient facility before bringing blankets over to see if they need any that month. And members can suggest new facilities to receive blankets. Perhaps you need to see if there's another facility you can supply (hospital, domestic violence shelter, foster care, etc.). Patty

You know, I've been donating to our local PL chapter for a while and our coordinator never mentioned that I should put my info on the blanket. Guess we don't do it that way here.

And.. sadly.. our coordinator is retiring in February and no one has stepped up to take her place. I keep praying that someone will take on the job.. but so far.. nope. I can't do it.. I'm too disorganized and don't have the storeage.

Mamarose, in the past, some of the facilities that participated in our PL system did not need blankets, but since our chapter supplies blankets to over a dozen different charities and organizations, we have no problem finding a home for the blankets. Our chapter is very large and has several team leaders who are responsible for delivery, and they talk to the recipient facility before bringing blankets over to see if they need any that month. And members can suggest new facilities to receive blankets. Perhaps you need to see if there's another facility you can supply (hospital, domestic violence shelter, foster care, etc.). Patty

I donate to a NICU a freind works in, too - advantage being that she takes really small blankets, too...

Desert Crocheter, I don't actually belong to a PL organization but to an organization sponsored by Cornell Cooperative Home Extension. We are an organization of teaching, sharing and community service. We have quite a few chapters on Long Island. As part of our community service projects, many of us crocheted, knit or sewed blankets/afghans that we gave to PL. Until their reserves go down a bit, we have been donating to our local hospital.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the Co-Coordinator for the NW Atlanta Chapter of PL (Hi Tena). Thankfully, we have never had to turn away a request for a blanket. We have always received a wonderful supply from our great Blanketeers. Our chapter supply blankets to many hospitals and shelters and one of our hospitals is Scottish Rite Children's Hospital. I don't think that we could ever really fullfill ALL of their needs. We also coordinate Nationally getting a blanket to every child that has lost a parent or sibling in the war. Over 3,500 children ... sadly. If any of you are considering donating to Project Linus, go ahead and do so. It is one of the most wonderful organizations that I have ever known and the comfort and warmth and love that they supply to children is incredible.

I brought 20 of my mother's PL blankets to the drop off place I usually use (a quilting store; the ladies are so friendly they're tempting me to learn to sew so I can learn to quilt!), and they immediately remembered me. Why not, my mom never sends me in with less than a full garbage bag of blankets, and they went crazy over them. Probably because they see a lot of quilted blankets, and far fewer crocheted since they are, after, a quilting store. And I still have another bag of hers I need to process (I always wash them to make sure that there are no ends popping out, then run a lint roller over them to get any stray cat fur--she has two cats--off them) and drop off this weekend. Mom's hook smokes! :crocheting Patty

• 1 month later...

Archived