Any ideas for hospice?

The Crochet Fanatic

I just got back from visiting my grandfather at hospice.

I would like to crochet things and donate them.

Any ideas for things that work up fast?

Has anyone done this before and if so, what items do they appreciate the most?

I do have some crosses and angels made up. Also have some butterflies.

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

My neighbor past away in July he had Alzheimiers for several years. Hospice came to his house serveral times a week, his wife wanted to keep him at home and she did right until the end. Anyway, he needed warm socks (slippers) afgans, and soft toys he could squeeze. He related to dogs mostly since he loved hunting and raised hounds. He never sold them but would give them to whoever needed or wanted a hound as long as he knew they would be well taken care of.

I donate afghans to my local hospice. They said they needed them for their patients even though it is always hot here. Their patients tend to be cold all the time. I didn't think about the slippers and shawls. That is also a very good idea. It is so very kind of you to want to help.

maybe small stuffed animals? Sometimes people just need a little friend to help brighten their day. My mother just recently made up baskets for the local retirment home and put a bear or a moose in each one. They aren't practical, but maybe they'll earn a small smile:)

I come from a family who has unfortunately needed hospice more than once. Donations of Lapghans and twin size blankets are always needed and appreciated by both the patients and their families. I cannot tell you what it means to a family who receives one of these blakets for their loved ones. It is not only a comfort ghan to the patient but to their families also to know that someone was so kind to donate their time and efforts to bring a little joy to them in such a hard time. My father received one of these special gifts from someone like you. He has since passed on and I now have it to remember not only my father but also the kindness of the person who made it for him.

I have an idea that would be great for patients in Hospice or care centers {nursing homes}.

Alot of patients use walkers or wheelchairs.

If they had a bag with straps that could be looped over the bar of the walker or the arm of the wheelchair, and hooked with a button.....

Similar to a purse, but designed for a walker or a wheelchair.

They could use these small bags to coveniently carry small items that they might need. Like straws, a drinking cup, or maybe some of the ladies might want to carry their hairbrush or comb with them, magazines, TV guide, puzzle book......whatever they need to carry from one location to another location, but might be difficult to carry if they have to walk with a walker or use a wheelchair.

BTW, I am a nurse......I work in a nursing home, and I see a need for this.

And in the world of crochet they could be made to fit.

I would be careful in the size of one for a wheelchair, so that it doesn't get caught in the wheel.

I have seen bags for this use before, but never a crocheted one.

If you make the walker totes (which is a great idea by the way) you either need to do them very tight ... single crochet - small hook... or line them to keep things from falling out... I use a walker and have one my Mother sewed for me ( she is in her 70's and makes amazing quilts) I'm in my 50's and due to physical problems am disabled... hospice is a wonderful organization.. when my niece was dying from cancer Hospice was there every day to help my SIL.. sometimes just to give her some time to get away by herself for a while..

If you make the walker totes (which is a great idea by the way) you either need to do them very tight ... single crochet - small hook... or line them to keep things from falling out... I use a walker and have one my Mother sewed for me ( she is in her 70's and makes amazing quilts) I'm in my 50's and due to physical problems am disabled... hospice is a wonderful organization.. when my niece was dying from cancer Hospice was there every day to help my SIL.. sometimes just to give her some time to get away by herself for a while..

Yeah.....walker totes. Great idea on the lining suggestion.

Would be extremely simple to make a lining.

Could be color coordinated to the yarn, and would be very attractive.

I think they would be very easy to make, would make up very fast, and

would be so useful, to someone in a w/c or using a walker.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived