A Hint of Spring, 12" afghan square

crochetsal

I designed this several months ago (hence the name) and scribbled the beginning directions on a loose piece of paper that I shoved in my notebook. Well, of course that sheet went missing, and it's taken me till now to re-work the square to write down the directions!

The pattern has not been tested, so if you work it and come across something questionable, please feel free to contact me!

Sally

A Hint of Spring

Sally Ives/September 2007hintofspring2.JPG

12" Square

Materials:

Worsted weight yarn in choice of colours

crochet hook size G (4.5mm)

Notes: Rounds are joined with a sl st in top of first st.

Begin rounds of dc with ch3, counts as first st.

Begin round of tr with ch4, counts as first st.

Begin rounds of sc with ch1, does not count as first st, sc in same st to begin.

Feel free to change colours as desired, simply join new colour in joining st and continue with directions. I’ve done two squares, each showing different colour changes.

With A, ch4. Join with a sl st in first ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: 12 dc in ring. (12)

Rnd 2: (Sc, ch2) in each dc around.

Rnd 3: *(dc, ch1, dc) in sc. Sc in ch2 sp. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 4: Sl st into ch1 sp. *(sc, ch1, sc) in ch1 sp. Ch3. Repeat from * around. FO.

Rnd 5: Join B in any ch1 sp. *5dc in ch1 sp. (Working in front of ch3, 3dc in skipped sc of rnd 3. Sc in ch1 sp) twice. Working in front of ch3, 3dc in skipped sc of rnd 3. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 6: *sc in 1st dc of corner. Hdc in next, 5dc in centre dc of corner, hdc in next dc, sc in next. Sc in centre dc of 3dc. In next set of 3dc, work 1 hdc in 1st st, 5dc in centre, hdc in last dc. Sc in centre st of next 3dc set. Repeat from * around. FO. (72)

Rnd 7: Join A in centre dc of any 5dc corner. *3sc in centre corner dc. Sc in next 2 sts. Sk next 2 sts, 7dc in next, sk 3 sts, sc in centre st of 5dc set. Sk 3 sts, 7dc in next, sk 2 sts, sc in next 2. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 8: Dc in 1 st. *(2tr, ch2, 2tr) in centre st of corner. Dc in 3 sts, hdc in 2, sc in 3, hdc in 2, dc in 1, hdc in 2, sc in 3, hdc in 2, dc in 3. Repeat from * ending with dc in last 2 sts.

Rnd 9: Dc around, working 5dc in each corner ch2 sp. FO.

Rnd 10: Join C (green) in centre dc of any corner 5dc. *5dc in corner st. [sk 2 sts, (sc, ch2, dc) in next st] 9 times, sk 2 sts. Repeat from * around. FO.

Rnd 11: Join A in centre dc of any 5dc corner. *5dc in corner st, dc in next 2 sts, 3dc in each ch 2 sp across side. Dc in 1st 2dc of 5dc corner. Repeat from * around.

Rnd 12: Dc in each st around, working 5dc in each centre st of corner 5dc set. FO.

I actually made this square today. I had a little bit of problems with row 5, I think, didn't know if I was doing it right or not so I kept going and the rest was easy and looks great.

Thank you for the pattern.

Fonda, if the problem you were having on row 5 was what to do with the chain, when I was weaving in the ends, I thought the back looked kinda interesting too, and thought the square would look nice with the stitches worked behind the chain (instead of in front) or even around. Same number of stitches, just slightly different looks.

I may have to try that just to see.

Sally

Archived