Prayer shawl

I have just started a prayer shawl ministry! I am making shawls and lapghans for people in the church that have a terminal illness or family members of someone who has died. I am also offering classes. I am so excited that I just had to tell everyone here. I am just so excited that I am bursting at the seams. My mind is racing. I have all these plans in my head. And patterns to find! :yay

I've heard about these prayer shawls. How does the program work? Do you make them and keep them at your church or hospital until someone needs it? You lend it to them and they return it when they feel they no longer need it? Then you lend it to someone else? Are they just for adults?

Is there a preferred pattern? One that works well and easy for most corcheters to do?

I am very curious about this project. I understand from reading online that the prayer shawl provides comfort and an opportunity to reflect, pray, and be at peace during difficult times.

Am I close?

thank you,

Debbie

uwcheese

I've heard about these prayer shawls. How does the program work? Do you make them and keep them at your church or hospital until someone needs it? You lend it to them and they return it when they feel they no longer need it? Then you lend it to someone else? Are they just for adults?

Is there a preferred pattern? One that works well and easy for most corcheters to do?

I am very curious about this project. I understand from reading online that the prayer shawl provides comfort and an opportunity to reflect, pray, and be at peace during difficult times.

Am I close?

thank you,

Debbie

uwcheese

The program is kind of up in the air for me right now. I think it is going to be going along the lines with the prayer requests list that the church has. I think that I will go by word of mouth for a few months until we are caught up. Then hopefully there will be enough on hand at the time that the event occurs. I think that I will store them at my house, strictly because of storage constraints.

I want the people to keep them, always as a constant reminder that there was someone thinking about them in their time of need.

I will be making it for both children and adults.:yes

Right now I am looking at patterns, but I think I will encourage the folks who join to pick their own on their own or from a list that I have made. I want them all to be different in some sort of way.

http://www.shawlministry.com will give you more information.

In essence you are correct.

I haven't heard from the lady in charge of it. I hope it's still going. If not, I'll get it going! I need some local ladies to crochet with and I think it would be neat to get together with some church members that I otherwise probably wouldn't get to know.

I'll even *try* to help someone who doesn't know how to crochet. I'm just an advanced beginner, but it doesn't take an expert to make a lapghan or a shawl.

:c9

The program is kind of up in the air for me right now. I think it is going to be going along the lines with the prayer requests list that the church has. I think that I will go by word of mouth for a few months until we are caught up. Then hopefully there will be enough on hand at the time that the event occurs. I think that I will store them at my house, strictly because of storage constraints.

I want the people to keep them, always as a constant reminder that there was someone thinking about them in their time of need.

I will be making it for both children and adults.:yes

Right now I am looking at patterns, but I think I will encourage the folks who join to pick their own on their own or from a list that I have made. I want them all to be different in some sort of way.

http://www.shawlministry.com will give you more information.

In essence you are correct.

Thank you SO much for posting this link...I never knew it existed! Lots of useful info for starting this ministry. Can't wait to start one at my Parish. Please keep me in your prayers on the 15th for a successful 1st meeting of many, many more!

Archived