Wrist and arm trouble!

I know I have written before about this, but here I am again.....I am having trouble with my upper arms when crocheting, they hurt like heck....I looked for something to wear above my elbow but I didn't see anything, so my question is, if I wear the short wraps on my wrist, will that be of any help to my upper arms above my elbow? I bought them but if they will not help any, I will return them...........I love to crochet and don't wish to stop..........I am in the middle of making an afghan for my daughter for when she gets married in Oct. and the I am making one for my other daughter, not wedding yet!!!! Thanks for any suggestions or help. Faith:think

I am having trouble with my elbow and I purchased a tennis elbow brace that has an air pocket bubble on it. I place it just above my elbow and make sure I rest my right elbow on a support like a pillow while I am crocheting. I use extra naprosen or aleve during my flareups. Then, I ice it once in a while too. I like using that icy hot cream too. Hope you feel better soon!! :manyheart

I developed tendonitis in my left arm a year os so ago when I making jewelry. I couldn't even crochet which drove me nuts because I have a project basket beside my chair at all times. The tendonits has finally healed, but I find when I crochet, if I rest my arms every 30 minutes or so, I do fine. If I don't I can feel the tension begin again.

If I had to stop crocheting all together, I have to tell ya, I would be a raving maniac :eek

Blondie

I can identify with your problem and I echo Texasredhead. It is very important for me to make sure I have my elbows resting on a pillow (especially the right) - otherwise my arms, shoulders and even my neck get really sore. Also, sometimes I become aware of how tense my body is and then concentrate on relaxing it more. Crocheting is generally relaxing for me, but if while doing it my mind wanders on to something stressful then I find myself stiffening up. Try the support under your elbows. Hope it helps.

I completely agree with the resting you're elbows on a pillow and trying the elbow brace. Have you thought about switching off between a ghan and a lighter object when your arms start to get tired?

I feel your pain. literally. My shoulder has been killing me lately, due to the influx of crocheting i have done in a short time.. I have to do some exercises before i start and when i finish so i don't get all stiff and uncomfy.

I get tendinitis if I push it too much (read: crochet daily for an hour or more). I have a wrist brace (I just had to replace it...darned pup!!) at Lewis for $16.99. It has a stiff piece and it does wonders. But I also stop crocheting altogether for 10 days-ish. I also have arthritis in my elbow, so I get double-whammied. :(

Edits to add: if I take frequent breaks, I don't have any problems. I can crochet for about 6 hours a day, but I have to take frequent breaks.

I can relate to your discomfort and the things that help unfortunately some of them anyways - crocheters don't like to do (like me!:( ) number one is...REST of the arm which translates to not crocheting or at least cutting back...

that being said - I am a motrin-girl when it comes to pushing thru the pain. I get tendonitis in all kinds of spots very easily - I also suffer from neuropathy in both hands of which nothing helps that numbness that I have tried. I agree with some that the support braces are helpful and propping the arm up with the support of pillows.

I hope your upper arms feel better soon - oh yeah - I almost forgot - someone mentioned here that you should try alternating projects between light and heavy ones - it DOES help. It truly is amazing how much some WIP's actually can weigh depending on how big or the type of yarn used!

Just last night I had pain in both shoulders while crocheting. This is the first time. Guess since I turned 50 this year I am starting to feel my age. Such is the life of a crocheter. I'm interested if any of you have found relief for the shoulder pain, I haven't had problems with the elbow or wrist (at least not yet).

Archived