How do you use a stitch holder??

milliez

Question

Okay, I've been crocheting for 3 years now and I've never had a pattern that required a stitch holder. I am LOST on this pattern. What is the purpose of a stitch holder when crocheting?? Are you supposed to crochet on it or what?! HELP!!!!!:thair

~ Melissa

7 answers to this question

I use safety pins.. basically i use it on the first stitch in the next row to mark where I started. when come to the round, i just take it out do my stitch and mark that row.

I use them to mark the beginning and right side of my row. Or, in a pattern where you are counting so many rows, I put one at the start so I know where to start my counting for that section. Saves lots of time recounting! When working in the round it also marks the start of each round. I don't crochet over it, it mark it just below where I start.

Thanks ladies! I actually finally figured it out!! My mom knits and uses a stitch holder to actually stitch on, so that confused me. The wording of the patterns in this book that I'm using is really strange, so it's taking me quite a while to figure them out. But, after a week of trying, I've got it!!

Thanks again!

~ Melissa

I got these stitch holders at Walmart and I just love them because they snap close. Since I take my crochet in a tote with me all over it helps me secure my stitch so it won't come unravelled in my bag. I also use them to mark when I am making triangular shaws, otherwise I have been know to miss the end and start going down the side. Mary

http://www.spinblessing.com/item.php?art=070659534737

Archived