plus sized crochet dress

I must be crazy for thinking this....but I think I'm going to try and design a plus sized crochet dress. I've done a skirt and I love wearing it.

I got this Christmas Party that I go to with my husband every year and I try to make something special for it. I think I'll have to start now to get it done. I'm thinking that it will get boring after awhile. I don't know maybe I'm just crazy for even trying it.

I'm thinking of Simply Soft and maybe the turquoise blue or the purple.

Anybody think I've lost my mind for wanting to do this?:lol

Instead of a full on dress, what about separates? My old needlework magazines (that I pay a fortune for on ebay, lol!) have lots of dressy skirt/blouse patterns done in sport weight yarn or size 3 thread that look like dresses, but drape better b/c they fit separately.

I think for a large garment, like a dress, SS might get too heavy.

Have you worked with size 3 thread? It's just like working with yarn, really. It's not super dainty at all. And they have sparkly gold and silver that would look awesome for Christmas.

Not crazy in the least - I've enjoyed looking at your previous creations, I think you could do a lovely one. However, I do agree that separates may drape better. . . . . Maybe a skirt and a tunic? I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Instead of a full on dress, what about separates? My old needlework magazines (that I pay a fortune for on ebay, lol!) have lots of dressy skirt/blouse patterns done in sport weight yarn or size 3 thread that look like dresses, but drape better b/c they fit separately.

Have you worked with size 3 thread? It's just like working with yarn, really. It's not super dainty at all. And they have sparkly gold and silver that would look awesome for Christmas.

I haven't used size 3 thread before. I'm not crazy over thread as it seems to take so long to complete things. I do collect old patterns and I've seen some wonderful separates patterns. That's a great idea. hmmm! Like Pooh would say...think, think, think....

I'm just not sure if I want to tackle such a large project. I get tired of large projects.

I don't think you're crazy at all! I think it's a GREAT idea! Best of luck to you, and I'm sure you'll come up with something that's just beautiful! I think either the turquoise blue OR the purple would be pretty. Go you! :cheer

Elle

shaelynn's mom, I love that you are going to try something new. I always check you site for plus size patterns before I look somewhere else. Your designs always inspire me. In fact right now, I am working with your pattern the babydoll one but altered it a little because I'm actually going to use it as a top this fall. I will be wearing a t-shirt, when winter hits it will be a turtle neck, under it over top of my jeans. It it is coming together so nicely. So I say go for it we are all cheering you on.....looking forward to see what you come up with.

This issue of Knit Simple has a dress crocheted in Simply Soft:

http://www.vogueknitting.com/books/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=230&osCsid=18ekh4b2ef2q7eg4f4kcp9fam4

One of our members even made it:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54103&highlight=PINK+PERSUASION

I made a skirt for my daughter last fall out of Simply Soft and it's held up great. I hope to make her a couple more for this fall. It's the Blue Plush skirt, to be exact.

I think it'd work out just fine.

On the other hand size 3 thread such as Senso is easier to work with than you think. It's close to Lustersheen in size if you've tried that. I made my daughter a dress out it, the top part, and love how it feels and washes up. Again I hope to make her more things out if.

Either way I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Go for it! I made a pant suit way back when such things were "in" and later ripped out the pants and made the top into a full length dress. It's made from a thinnish yarn in a plum colour and is mostly shells and is empire line with long flared sleeves. It's a masterpiece, though I say so myself. Only trouble is, it grew longer so needs more ripping. I also had to make a slip to go under it. And yes, I'm a plus size and say, "If you've got it, flaunt it!" Zaraliz

Archived