Don't you hate it when...

your looking at crochet books on ebay and the person selling them refuses to give you the name of the book. I saw this book that looked interesting but some of the pictures looked familiar to me so I asked the seller what the title of the book was. She then sent me this lengthy email telling me why she refuses to give out the names of product she is selling.

I only want to know because I am not at home to be able to check to see if the same patterns are in the books I have at home.

She was not very friendly. Then I noticed a lot of sellers have started to do that.

How annoying!!!! :confused:thair

I find this very annoying, too! If you are selling the book, I don't understand why you can't give me the title, what difference does it make?

I'm just curious, what excuse did she give you for not telling you the name of the book?

I don't know why some people do that, what difference would it make if you knew the title of the book. :think

When I sell anything on Ebay I always list the title, its nice like you said to make sure you don't have it in your stash.

:hook

I find this very annoying, too! If you are selling the book, I don't understand why you can't give me the title, what difference does it make?

I'm just curious, what excuse did she give you for not telling you the name of the book?

I too have run into the problem of not being at home to check my books and they won't give me the title. Sellers do this to keep you buying from them elsewhere b/c if you have the title, ISBN, etc you can look elsewhere to find the book cheaper and they then lose the sale.

Me, I try really hard not to buy from seller who will not list the title/give me the title, ISBN or other info. If we stop buying from them they will have to stop selling this way.

She told me that if she gave me the title then I could go look elsewhere for it and try to buy it cheaper. She kept repeating this many different ways over and over...whatever.

The thing is, most of the time I'm ready to buy it right away and I usually don't keep looking around for it cheaper if I found something I like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150146719666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Here is the link if anyone wants to take a look and see if you know what the title is.

WOW! What beautiful afghans! I would imagine that if you had the book you'd recognize it from all the pictures she provided.

But you could try doing a search for some of the afghans by description such as the angels, butterflies, bunnies, or Noah's Ark. Maybe it'll lead you to the title of the book. Just a thought.

:manyheart:hug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150146719666&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

Here is the link if anyone wants to take a look and see if you know what the title is.

Here's the title...

Contest Favorites -- 40 Afghans to Crochet

The reason I know this, is because this is on my wish list of books, because I want to make that Peppermint afghan!

luvmnms - Thanks for figuring that out for me.

A few of those patterns are in another book I have and so I was getting myself confused. I couldn't remember if it was the same book or not and it's not. :hook

She told me that if she gave me the title then I could go look elsewhere for it and try to buy it cheaper. She kept repeating this many different ways over and over...whatever.

The thing is, most of the time I'm ready to buy it right away and I usually don't keep looking around for it cheaper if I found something I like.

That is the same seller that refused to tell me the name of the same book!!!!!:eek My helpful friends here at the 'ville also gave me the name when I was looking!:hook

Teehee...word of warning, it's almost 11PM, I'm at work, I'm a disgruntled employee and I'm feeling rather vindictive. :devil

I would then reply to the seller and state that my friends at an online forum have found the book for me, and it is not one I already have. However, due to your treatment of me for asking a perfectly valid question, now none of us will be purchasing from you in the future.

You could also report them to eBay, as I do believe they are required to answer your questions. And I don't see why they wouldn't (other than the chance of losing the sale, of course), because wouldn't they want to prove it's not a photocopy of the pattern?

I, for one, quite like these people.

Why?

Because they put all those lovely pictures up, and then I google using the keywords they have right in their auction "40 contest afghans" or whatever - and I go buy the book cheaper someplace else.

I don't always like to buy at amazon.com b/c I can't see the patterns. But these, ahem, fine sellers allow me to browse books I otherwise wouldn't be able to browse. That doesn't mean I have to give them my business.

And I don't.

What these people do is get the books very cheaply from Annie's Attic, usually, and then sell them at that huge markup. It's not cheating, but it's darn close and I really hope they can sleep at night.

Make a profit, fine. But do it honestly. Put the title of the book up there so we all know it was on clearance last week for $5.00!

I'm going to be the one to come to the defense of this seller. I've bought items from her before and I was always more than satisfied with her service. I appreciate that she posts all the pics of the afghans in the book. That helps me decide if I want the book. I have also dropped out of the bidding when the price gets to be more than I'm willing to pay. I try not to get caught up in the fever. I know that she'll offer the book again and I wait until the bidding is less fevered. I also usually buy more than one item from sellers at a time to take advantage of combined shipping. So it doesn't really bother me that this particular seller doesn't disclose the title. There are, as others have said, other ways to find out that information. There are times when I'm trying to collect all the books in a series, like the "A Year of Afghans" books. Then, yes I want to know the title.

I have also had the problem of seeing something on ebay that I thought I wanted while I'm at work, but I'm not sure if I already have it at home. Then, I've just disciplined myself to wait until I get home to check my library of crochet books.

Leisure Arts and Annie's Attic don't show you a pic of EVERY afghan in their books so I appreciate it when sellers like that one on EBay do. That's my $0.02.

Archived