Idea for a new book...

Going to the beach is one of my family's favorite activities however this summer has had so many busy weekends we hadn't gotten there until this last Tuesday (I finally took time off work). Anyway, after knee surgery in May, I'm still not all that mobile and not confident enough to go into the water so I figured I would crochet. While I was there I imagined a whole bunch of people sitting on their blankets with their hooks or needles like at a Stitch and Pitch. Then the idea struck me...Stitch and BEACH - fun, easy to carry along projects you can take to work on at the beach!!

So wadda ya think? Of course I say this totally in jest, unless someone actually picks up the idea and does it, then I will expect royalties ;)

Cute title.

I don't see it selling much though. I personally don't want sand in my work. I don't want to fool with keeping it contained and sand-free. Plus accidents always happen. Then there's the whole issue of being too hot and having yarn draped on you. Or losing your hook in the sand.

:lol

Sorry, I have to disagree. I am taking projects with me for our two week beach trip. While I don't take my work to the beach (too hot, too sticky, too sandy), I do enjoy working on projects in the evening both inside and on the deck. I have 3 little ones and while I am staying up at the beach house during nap time, I will be enjoying my next project. Also, I love planning what I might use for the fall so I think some easy fall projects might be a great idea! Good Luck! Carey

You're saying at the beach house. That's different and I'd probably take mine there.

I was talking about the beach itself. Anytime I've been to a beach it was for the day and I have never stayed in a beach house. So I was replying on my experiences, hence the "I personally" part.

Since you said you won't take it to the beach (too hot, to sticky, too sandy), you actually do agree with me.

;)

I am still trying to figure out how to crochet while in the pool. :D With this hot weather we are having in Michigan, my crocheting has taken a hit. :hook

When my kids were younger, that was my favorite thing to do. It's not like reading a book when you have to keep looking up to see what your kids are up to. I have managed to do quite a bit of projects at the beach. They would play in the water, and I would have my yarn in a bag, hanging on the beach chair, and crocheting away. It is a great way to relax.

And we would go after an early dinner, so it usually wasn't too hot. I was careful and I didn't have sandy yarn. It was just so nice. Now that my daughter is a lifeguard, and my son is busy with his own friends, I really don't get "Beach time" too often. And I miss it. :( Kids grow up too fast.

I think "Stitch and Beach" would be a great title for small carry-around projects. I'd be the first one buying a copy!:)

:manyheart

I take projects on vacation, but I can't go to the beach and stay out of the water. When you see the middle- aged, plus- sized woman acting like a ten year old in the waves, that is me!

When you see the middle- aged, plus- sized woman acting like a ten year old in the waves, that is me!

:lol THAT'S ME!!! :lol only reason i'm staying out this year is because of the injury...i hope to be making a complete fool of myself next year :yes

I think it sounds like a cool concept. Have beach themed, small projects...

Like a series of shell motif suqares you could join later or make in cotton to use as coasters.... drink cozys and mesh beach bags.... hmmmm..... could be cool.

As a business traveler, I'm often looking for small, quick things that won't take up a lot of space but are fun/usefull things. (I've been doing dishcloths recently, but I'm bored with them and I think since I've about finished this afghan I'll start another... I'd been leaving this one at home because I'm at the joining long strips phase, which isn't goon on a plane...)

No beaches in Colorado per se. As much as I would love to bring my projects to the pool, I don't. I don't want them getting wet or accidently getting suntan lotion on them. As it is, the books I bring end up getting waterlogged!

:lol Priceless :lol and your inspiration for such a project would be......?

Starfish! And there's a RHSS varigated called ocean...the problem is that all of mine is in use, so I'd have to fudge it with Monet...and I'm not kidding, I think we ought to do this. Somebody needs to do a pattern for covering the straps of flip-flops that looks good and does not require Fun Fur. I mean, Fun Fur? on the beach? did whoever made that up ever hear of SAND?

I think it's a great idea! Small projects with a beach/tropical theme.

I live at the beach on a barrier island and can often be found sitting there crocheting. I have also seen many others crocheting, knitting and doing plastic canvas on the beach.

I've never had an issue with anything getting dirty but then my carry-along projects are always well protected inside a zip lock bag irregardless of where I'm going. The zip lock bag stays inside my bag (or purse) and is opened enough only to let only the thread/yarn pass through and if I happen to drop my work or hook, which I haven't, it would land on the blanket. I either sit on a large blanket or have a small beach chair I use that I place on top of my blanket. I can hang out there enjoying the sights and sounds, feeling the beautiful ocean breeze in the sun or the shade if I attach a small umbrella to the back of my chair and crochet 'til my hearts content.:)

We have 2 pools here in the community where we live and I crochet at the pool too! I made a beautiful summer top last month...it was a 'pool only' project.:D

If I'm going to be outside just sitting there how can I not combine it with my passion for crochet? Simply said, I can't!:lol

Archived