Shell Pattern count ?

grinning chook

Question

I want to make a shawl/wrap and am planning on doing it in a shell pattern that is (2dc 1ch 2dc) and in the next row the shell will be made on the 1ch space.

What I need to know is how many starting chain will I need and how do I do the first row? Obviously I need as many chain as I want width but what count will I need to get an even amount of shells plus the double crochet start and finish. Once I have the chains do I start my shell in every 2nd or 3rd or 4th chain.

I hope someone can understand what I mean.

10 answers to this question

This is an iris stitch, as you described with 3 chains skipped between 'shells' in the first row. My reference book says multiple of 4 plus 1. You do your first shell in 5th ch from hook, at the end you will have 2 chains left, dc in last chain. This will give you your shells with a dc on each end.

This will make a pretty wrap, have fun!

wow thanks for the quick response, I am hoping the shell pattern will be ok.

A resident at work has a beautiful knitted wrap the back is one large square and the front is 2 rectangles that = the square, and you wear them over your shoulders, probably just confused you all LOL

Actually I guess I could do it in any pattern, I want something that crochets up quick and easy, what would you lovely ladies suggest?

Needs to be warm, so not too lacy (we are in the middle of winter)

:cheer I just did one which starts in the centre of the long edge and gets longer and wider at the same time.

I dont have a picture of the whole thing but I have part of it.

th_100_0360.jpg

The increasing is done at each side and in the middle.

It is very simple and very effective.

I added a shell pattern on the edge.

If you want to do the Shell Pattern over the whole thing, just work a long chain and work back along it starting with a SC into 2nd CH from the hook, SK2 CH, *2DC, CH1, 2DC into next CH, SK2 CH, 1SC into next CH* Repeat * to * to the width you want. Turn.

Pattern row: SL ST to the CH1 SP, CH1, 1SC into same place, *2DC, CH1, 2DC into next SC, 1SC into next CH1 SP* Repeat * to * across the row. Turn.

Repeat Pattern row until you only have 1 Shell.

You could then add a shell to the edge and a row of SCs across the starting CH.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I'm finishing up a little baby pinafore in that stitch. I was following a pattern and can't help you with the count but wow it is a beautiful look. Now that I have the skirt done I love the design, all the little shells look like lace and it is sooo soft. It just took a long time to make all the little shells.

wow thanks for the quick response, I am hoping the shell pattern will be ok.

A resident at work has a beautiful knitted wrap the back is one large square and the front is 2 rectangles that = the square, and you wear them over your shoulders, probably just confused you all LOL

didnt confuse me! my mom made me something similar to that last year.

Archived