I need ideas

mama4ray

Question

My sister is having a baby. She lives all the way in Arizona and is going thru a lot of problems right now. She says she dosn't have the strength to have a baby shower. I live in Florida and can't throw her one either. So I'm trying to crochet & Sew her a bunch of stuff. I just finished an afghan for her. I'm going to make booties, bibs, & burp cloths too. I'm going to sew a hooded towel for her w/ a matching wasshcloth. I just was wondering if anyone had any other ideas that I could make for her too? I just want to make sure she has a good start with her little one. Everyone keeps asking why I dont just go to the store and buy stuff for her :blush But I say thats taking all the fun out of it and each stitch I make is made with love!:D

13 answers to this question

I knew of a family that threw a baby shower for the Mother-to-be even though she lived far away. They sent all the presents to her afterwards.

How great that you are doing so much for her! When is the baby due? A sweater would be nice. AZ does get cold enough for a baby to need a sweater! Since you sew, you could make a baby sling. There are some great free patterns on the internet. I made one for DD and loved it!

What part of AZ is your sister in?

Actually,

I was looking at one of the Yahoo ads on their homepage for handbags and in the list was a catchall to attach to a crib for baby toys. It was out of fabric; but I was thinking a crocheted one would work great. it was half moon shaped and wide enough to stretch the width of the crib and attached with wide ribbons on both points of the moon to the two endposts of the crib. I think crocheted straps with buttons of snaps would work just as well. Sort of like a giant pocket book to toss stuff toys,etc into.

When I was pregnant many moons ago my sister arranged a long distance baby shower. She sent me a nice note with gifts. I was thinking you could contact any friends who may live far away too and have them send notes and gifts to you and then bundle all up with decorations and mail to her for a baby shower in a box!

Hugs,

Angie

That reminded me. My mom and I made the crib stuff for both of my kids. You have to look for fire-resistant material which can be hard to find. For the bumper I recovered a used one to match a quilt my mom had made. For the crib skirt I just hemmed one side of the material and gathered the other. Then add ties to attach it to the crib. For DD, I used fabric paint and stamps on a white bumper and white crib skirt. I couldn't find the pattern I wanted (purple butterflies) so I made my own. I also found a simple diaper stacker and added decorations and pockets so that it matched the bedding.

Sounds like you sew too, I know when a friend gave me a baby sling I wore it out I used it so much.

You can't ever have too many burp cloths.

Hope everything works out for her.

:rose

A popular item at a baby shower I went to, was regular store bought baby socks with crochet edging with beads. They were the larger pony beads, but I think she did them with thread (although baby yarn would work for those). The mom-to-be said she would have been upset if the giver hadn't given her any because she knew that's what she made for every mom to be. Those would be so cute. Now if she's not having a girl, or you're not sure, they may not work. But it's an idea to keep in mind.

Another cute idea from Crochetville board I got, was to crochet around fleece. Fleece is very soft and can keep you warm. I actually ended up buying blankets with an edging all ready on them, but you can find super cute fabric at the fabric store. I found the soft yarn works best with this, like Simply Soft... Red Heart was too harsh (of course). These are easy and quick blankets to do.

A baby hat is also nice. I crocheted one for a friend and she put it in the bag to go to the hospital as the hospital ones are fairly cheap and just a little bit of fabric (usually, unless someone donates some). And if it gets a little cool at night, she can use the hat when out with the baby.

Sounds like your sister is so lucky to have someone like you:hug

Debbi

maybe you can have your sister register for stuff online like toys r us, babies r us, target or walmart....then tell her family and friends that she is registered there and maybe they can either order or mail them to her.

(if she doens't have internet she can give you a list of things she needs and wants and you can go to the store for her)

Just a few suggestions

not sure if someone suggested this...changing pad that fits snuggly into a nice baby bag you either make or decorate to match the bag...the changing pad is a favorite of mine to give to family and friends....always comes in handy on trips away from home...:cheer

A lot of people think of items for the baby, but forget the new Mom, especially if it is a difficult time medically or otherwise for her. How about some items the new Mom would like, like bubble bath, a gift certificate to somewhere she'd like, a store gift card if she has financial issues, etc? Or perhaps crochet her a lapghan in her fav colors? I am sure others will come up with good baby item ideas.

I was given a baby shower by mail when I was pregnant and lived out of state. You send out invitations as usual but you put a mail shower and set the date you want the gifts to arrive. I was so excited to get gifts for a week. lol.

NanaSharp

Charlene

A lot of people think of items for the baby, but forget the new Mom, especially if it is a difficult time medically or otherwise for her. How about some items the new Mom would like, like bubble bath, a gift certificate to somewhere she'd like, a store gift card if she has financial issues, etc? Or perhaps crochet her a lapghan in her fav colors? I am sure others will come up with good baby item ideas.

That's true! When DS was born some friends brought me a tray of healthy snacks. I loved it. It was great to have a ready made snack that I could keep nearby. Another thought for a new mom is a movie gift certificate. DH started up Blockbuster online right about the time that DD was born. I watched so many movies in the middle of the night when it was just me and my newborn DD!

Those ideas are really Great! Thanks! We just found out that our mom has cancer and my sister lives/works with her. So she has been going thru a lot with that physically and emotionally. The father of the baby to be is in the army and was just sent to Korea. And her father is in and out of detox every other month. So she says she is just too exhausted to do much when it comes to a baby shower and things. She also says she dosn't want to know the sex of the baby cause she wants to be surprised. So I have been trying to make everything green, yellow, or white. Thank you so much for your help! I'm getting excited alredy finding new patterns to make for her. I swear it's an addiction LOL!

I am not much of the blanket, washrag making type. I like toys. I know with an infant it is difficult to find appropriate things but Lion Brand has one that is perfect.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50722-2.html?noImages=0

Also I made KristieMN's catepillar for a friend's baby (she was about 3mo when I gave it to her.) It is the perfect size for little hands but big enough not to be dangerous.

Archived