beyond frustrated

wrenlover

Question

Has anyone (with years of crochet experience) ever came across a pattern/s

that you just cannot seem to get:bang ? I just purchased a book and out of the two patterns I have started, I am just not getting either one. I want to sit down and cry ! If I could reach my hand through the computer I would have passed the book off by now. I am afraid to try another pattern in this book. I feel like I know nothing about crocheting. Please tell me I am not alone:eek .

I'm gonna go scream into a pillow!!!!!:angry

Lisa

Not that it helps you right now, but I would definitely contact the publisher (I believe it's Lark Books/Sterling Publishing). If they have a corrections sheet for it they could give it to you, and if they don't they really need to hear about the problems so they can fix them (maybe point them to the amazon listing that talks about problems in the patterns?)

I found this on their contact page (there's also an address and phone number listed there):

Quality Control

Question: I have one of your books and have found an error in the content. Who do I tell?

Answer

Send an email to our editoral staff.

Email : editorial@sterlingpub.com

I've seen correction sheets for other pattern books. One publisher (can't remember which one, though) actually was nice enough to put their corrections online.

Hope that's of some help :)

Wish I could figure out how to crochet and use the treadmill at the same time, I've already almost killed myself adjusting my headphones:eek Thank goodness for the little thingy-ma-bob that clips to your shirt in case you slip (it shuts down the machine). I've shut it down all right. It was'nt very pretty. I think I'll remain seated whilst I crochet.

Lisa

Just to save my A** from spreading bigger than it is.

Someone -- I forget who -- crochets while on an exercise bike at the gym!! Haha!

[since I bike on a non-stationary bike, this doesn't work for me... I have to pay attention to the cars on the road! :lol ]

I do not need another cushion, I need to learn to crochet standing up, lol, really my bottom is so sore from sitting all day, I look forward to getting in bed just so I can lay down and get off of it. If that is not a addiction problem I do not know what is. I really need to curb some of the time I spend crocheting. Just to save my A** from spreading bigger than it is.

^Put an extra cushion in your chair? :sofunny

I've run across patterns that wouldn't work up right too, the booties I made to go with the shortie sleeper have a misprint, I'll be posting that correction when I post the pattern in my pattern blog later.

:frog

I am in the middle of the star pattern now, thanks for your input, sure wish someone would tell her to fix her pattern, I understood every thing you said, except, I knew you ment dc in first ch (not sc) cause there are no sc there. Things like that can really just mess with my brain, I am easily confussed. LOL, thanks again, it is a simple pattern, and I can watch tv and do it. Now if someone could come up with a something to stop my bottom from hurting, crocheting is not only hard on the wrist, but the bottom also. lol

I just love this site, thanks for the help on the Star pattern, I printed it, I am in the middle of another project so I have not tried it as of yet, might today, just to see if I can get past the dreaded round 3, I know it should be simple, but my simple brain is not connecting, lol. Right now making baby afghan, just got the new Hooked on Crochet magazine and it is on the front cover, it is so cute and colorful, has hearts and stuff, I love.

I started Beths star afghan. Let me see if this helps you. I was frustrated too!

Round 1 - Chain 7, dc in first sc of chain 7 (this is going to start the circle), ch 3, dc ch 3 ( 3 more times in that same sc). slip st to 3 rd chain of beginning chain. (This gives you 5 chain 3 spaces).

Round 2 works as pattern says with a slip st to chain 3 at end.

Round 3 - Slip st into next st , chain 3. 1 dc in next dc, Shell stitch (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in chain 2 space, *dc in next 2 dc, skip 2 dc, 1 dc in next 2 dc, repeat shell stitch in chain 2 space. Repeat from * to 5th point dc in next 2 dc, slip st in top of chain 3.

The rest of the pattern seems okay. I've not had a problem since row 1 and 3.

Hope this helps!:hook

Lisa

We have all had this problem, yes there many patterns that are incorrect, I can not count how many I know of. Just this week I printed a pattern ( Beths little Star Afghan) which I really really want to make, but it does not make sense to me, I took it to my awesome crochet friends and the same thing happened, we all wanted to scream, I know it must be something real simple we are all overlooking, but come on, I have been crochet over 30 yrs, and these friends of my make neat clothes etc, they are not dume (like me), so again I feel for you and understand the frustration, someone please come up with a crochet prayer for us.

Thank you! I feel alot better that it isn't just me. The patterns are very cute.

I will write and inquire about corrections also. I wonder if anyone ever has tried to get in touch with them? I really appreciate you taking the time to double check me on this:hug .

Lisa;)

I tried the summery dress. It definately has problems. I could probably work on it and come up with what they intended to write, but that's not the point. Grr. I am going to try to write to the company and see what I come up with. If they will send corrections I will let you know what I find out. You do the same, ok?? The patterns are really cute, it's really such a shame. I am afraid to try some of the others because I don't want to invest the time and have it be wrong. :(

I will work on the dress when I get a chance and see where that leads...

Jessie :turtle

Thanks for the info., I will keep that in mind. I have a few people are graciously re-checking the pattern. To make sure it is not me. Which is entirely possible.

I would hate to have a temper tantrum and find out it was me all along.

"Simple" should have been my first clue huh? :think

Lisa

I appreciate all the help from everyone:hug . I am going to go and crochet something from a pattern I know is Good, to build my confidence back up:hook . Perhaps we should share a list of pattern books we have found useful and "Correct" so when someone is looking to purchase it they can reference it right here and get feed back. Just a thought:think .

Thank you all for sharing your frustrations too! I feel much better now:yay .

Lisa

Maybe if you told us the part that is confusing you, we could all put our heads together and figure it out. Is it just one part or the entire pattern. Send it in a post and maybe these brilliant friends here can help. :ghug

This has happened to me numerous times and it is so frustrating. Now that I'm more "experienced" I learned to fudge a little. I really don't buy many pattern books for this reason and I usually post asking about a pattern I've found on-line before I start it. Generally, the wonderful people here comment back with their problems/corrections, which I print out and staple to the pattern page for reference.

The first one I tried was the cool cotton sundress on page 59. I get to rows 14 and 15 (says I should have 13 shells made) I get 13 shells made on row 14, if I do row 15 the same way, you have more than 13 shells (i am making size 3 to 6 mos). Then it goes on to say Rows 15 to 20 Work even in patt. (row 15 was the already done in the previous row (misprint?). If I work the Pattern which I was assuming was row 8 and 9 you are adding more and more shells progressively. If so the shape of the piece on page 60 is way off. It could be me. I admit I am completely lost in this pattern. The other one was the sundress on page 20.

I am going to attempt that one again. I may have just been to tired and frustrated from working on the other pattern.:think

Lisa

Yes, I've had this happen. Sometimes you meet a pattern you don't like (hint: always say to yourself: it must be the pattern, not me :hook). I've had experiences where a pattern and I don't agree...and months later I go back and we get along just swell. Dont' ever let it get you down. We've ALL had troubles :hug

sara

Archived