beyond frustrated

wrenlover

Question

Has anyone (with years of crochet experience) ever came across a pattern/s

that you just cannot seem to get:bang ? I just purchased a book and out of the two patterns I have started, I am just not getting either one. I want to sit down and cry ! If I could reach my hand through the computer I would have passed the book off by now. I am afraid to try another pattern in this book. I feel like I know nothing about crocheting. Please tell me I am not alone:eek .

I'm gonna go scream into a pillow!!!!!:angry

Lisa

which pattern are you working on in that book? I have this book and made a couple of things in it. I made the turtle (of course) and I tried the jacket and had trouble with it. The pieces did not match up when I was done. Have not really taken the time to mess with that. I have also started the oak leaf hat.

I really like this book too, and am really looking forward to making some of the items, hope that I will be able to! I got the book on clearance, but still! I want the patterns to be right!

Let me know if I can try and help because I can look at that page with you.

Jessie :turtle

Thanks for coming to my rescue:hug I don't feel as "Dumb". As for the book, it is Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies, by Jane Davis. And after checking amazon books for "comments" (thank you for that idea), I've discovered I am not the only one with an issue with this book. I feel like I've wasted my money. But, I will try the baby afghans, to see If I can at least do that.

I appreciate patterns that are word for word, stitch by stitch, so that you know where you are. It is a shame that alot of these patterns won't be made, they are really cute. Makes me wish I could make up my own!:hook

Thank you for your words of support, I really love having a support system here!:cheer Lisa

I am not experienced much. But I must say, I was on Amazon today, checking out a couple of crocheting books. In the feedback of one of them, someone was saying that she was experienced crocheter and quite a few of the patterns were WAY wrong. I was shocked, a published "wrong" pattern? That shocks me, and makes me wonder why it got published. So I guess it is very possible, that they can be wrong, even when published. But I do know how frustrating it can be, trying to figure out a pattern, to come to find out it was a dud. :hug

Pattern reading can get very fustrating :devil . The first thing I do is to do exactly as the pattern states. If that doesn't work, I've done enough crocheting to "fudge around" and get to the result that way.

Keep in mind though that all patterns aren't created equal. Some are written better than others. My first doily was entitled "Winter Rose Doily", but as I worked it, it turned out to be a pineapple doily! The magazine used the wrong pattern!

Of course, you can ask for help too. What are you working on. Where in the instructions are you having problems?

Vera

Archived