Coordinating rose granny suggestions?

beturtlement

Question

I'm trying my hand at my first granny square afghan and I need a little advice.

I'd like to use Priscilla's "Irish Rose" 7 1/2" square pattern (my square images below) along with, maybe, two other square patterns... while I love the roses, I don't think I'd want a whole blanket full of them -- need some other squares to break it up a bit.

Here's my first Irish Rose Square. I'm not usually one for such girly patterns (it's my first time buying ANY pink yarn!), but I just fell in love with this square when I saw it. Maybe it's the Irish blood in me. :D

th_irish-rose1.jpg

th_irish-rose2.jpg

I would like one that I'll be working up all in beige (I was pondering either this or this pattern, but they're not the same size) and another that I can incorporate some blue into. I'd like something that would mesh well with the other blocks, yet not compete too much with the roses. I don't want it to look too busy. Just.... classic.

Any suggestions?

Oh.. and I have Jan Eaton's "200 Crochet Blocks" book, so if anyone has any suggestions from there, that'd be nifty. :)

I'll be using Caron Simply Soft in:

bone (for the bulk of the project)

light country blue (for the raised shell edging)

country blue & plum wine (roses)

dark sage green (leaves)

Melissa

26, New Jersey

WIPs:

Blue Shell & Cluster LB Homespun Afghan

Black 'n Blue Shimmery Seraphina Shawl

Gray Felted Messenger Bag

Multi-colored Irish Rose Afghan

8 answers to this question

I really like your rose square. I like both squares you suggested to go with it. I think either one will work really well. Can you make them larger, by adding a row or two, so they will be the same size as the rose square?

First of all....Wow that's pretty! Nice work! Very pretty! Now for the other blocks...you an add an additional row of sc or use a slightly larger hook and experiment with it to see how they look together.

Wow... thanks so muchly for all the compliments. You guys rock.. so encouraging! :D I tested some edgings and stuff and figured a row of hdcs will make it work. I have a feeling this particular project is gonna take me a looooong time. I /hate/ weaving in ends, not to mention joining squares.

Thanks again!

I love the rose square - very pretty! I am partial to the second square you suggested, although the first one is a little plainer and would probably work better to offset your rose squares (you don't want the plain squares to compete with the rose squares)

That is a lovely pattern. I never make afghans out of individual squares mainly because I hate sewing them together. But this will be beautiful, worth the trouble!

I love your square choices. I concur with lisalu in thinking the 1st square would work better as your filler choice. The 2nd square is lovely (I've saved it to use myself some time). So you don't have to stitch every square, here is one of my favorite ways to join squares

http://members.aol.com/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

The pattern below was Priscilla Hewitt's companion square for her Irish Rose Pillowghan. It looks similar, perhaps you could adapt the size and edge to match your square?

http://hometown.aol.com/crochetalong/ircomp.html

Here is the Rose Pillowghan it was to go with.

http://hometown.aol.com/crochetalong/irpill.html

Good Luck!

Archived