Gap between rows (in the circle)

ochagirl

Question

Howdy! This'll be my first post at Crochetville. :)

My situation is this:

Rnd 1: Ch2, >>>6<<< sc in 2nd from hook; join with sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: Ch3, dc 3 in first sc, [4 dc in next sc] 5 times; join with sl st in top of ch-3.

Where I last joined my double crochet and ch-3 is where there's a gap; it's not huge, mind you, but I'm as finicky as person can be sometimes.

I want to know if this is normal.

This is from a pattern for a newborn cap from Coats (the company that makes Red Heart). I'm using Simply Soft yarn from Caron (WW). The example caps were don't in various yarns, so I don't think my using Simply Soft should matter.

Thanks for any help!

11 answers to this question

Round one is an impossibility. Even if you could accomplish what it says to do, there wouldn't be enough stitches to make row 2 work with it.

Sorry! That is impossible! LOL! I fixed my entry to say what I meant. I posted that in the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks for your help. I'll try what you said, Jean. I'm a bit too new to go maverick with a pattern. :-)

A ch 2 instead of ch 3 really does help hide gaps. It's helpful to use a stitch marker in the top of the ch 2 also. A marker, a bread tie or even a pc of yarn to let you know where you start a new row at.

Another way to fix that pesky gap is to do a linked dc (scroll down)

http://melangeagora.com/crocraft/faq/stitches.html

Here is a site which shows how to do a linked triple similar principle as the linked double. It has pictures

http://www.crochetme.com/linked-stitch-tutorial

You would only need to link the first 'real' dc to the ch-3 turning chain.

I have those gaps too. To avoid those gaps, I do a ch 2 and do not count it as a stitch. so instead of a Ch 3 at the beginning I have a DC and so if the next row says, "join in top of ch 3" I join in top of the DC. This Ch 2 creates a filler stitch of sorts.

Sometimes if I do a ch 3 loose it helps fill it in, but not always.

Debbi

I've been very satisfied with the look of my projects using the ch2, and not counting it as a stitch, in place of the chain 3. Haven't tried doing a linked stitch yet, I'll check out the tutorials and see if they help.

Ruth

Archived