Need advised before I spend more money on hooks

I am:
:coffee

• Using size #10 thread or smaller
    • Having to crochet very tightly due to item needing to be stuffed

I have:
:thumbdown

• Problems using bates or boyle conventional hooks due to the smaller diameters since my hands cramp when I use them and the hooks also slide out of my hand if I relax my hand just for a bit like when reading patterns
    • Seen different types of hooks like Clover and handmade ones that the handles that are not thin.

I want:
:help

• Information about Clover soft touch hooks since I know they come in the thread sizes.
    • Information about any other hooks that anyone knows of.
    • Information about the one ebay is selling with a round handle that you can switch out the hooks.
    • Information about the hook that is a handle and you order the sz hook you want

I need:
:hook

• Hooks sizes 7, 8, & 9 in an ergonomic handle.
    • Hooks that don't require me to sell my whole stash of thread to purchase.

I wish:
:bang

• I didn't break 2 of my Addi hooks due to the stress I put on them crocheting so tightly...

I wonder:
:think

• Has anyone else broken a hook like that?

I hope:
:flower

• Anyone here that reads this will be willing to give me input on hooks they have used that are not the standard steel hook
    • There is a hook I can get that will last at least a month! At $7 a piece it was not only painful on my hand but in my pocket!

Thank you for your time and any input!

:ty

I just use a regullar Boye or Bates with a blue foam cushion and a couple dollar store gelly pencil grips. It's one of the most comfortable hooks I own - funny looking but comfy!

If you're tension is tight enough to break hooks then you REALLY need to work on loosening up a little before you burn out your hands.

This morning before I posted this, I was online looking at the different hooks available and the one you bought AngelFire is one that I have wanted to know about! It is very pretty but how does it handle compared to the Addi? I really like the way the Addi is shaped so that it will not roll in my hand and am afraid that this hook will. Do you have that problem? Thank you for your input too AngelFire! :c9

I am currently using my boyle steel hooks with the blue foam gripper and then a bigger one on top of that but it just isn't the same... I know how they can look funny but I am still just not getting the thickness I need. I did buy pencil grippers too but that was a total flop since they were the hard type for fingertips. But I will try the gelly grippers since I think they just might be a lot thicker. Thank you RoseRed! :cheer

I actually have really looked long and hard at the wooden holders for the bates hooks and was wondering just how easy it was to hold them... I was looking and the place where you would put your index finger and thumb on the flat part of the hook isn't covered by the wood so I was wondering just how comfortable they were? I was afraid that the end of the wood would be too blunt where it meets the hook to be comfortable. I wish I could see how it would look in someone's hand. Maybe I will just ask that seller. Thank you so much for your input Cherri! :yay

This morning before I posted this, I was online looking at the different hooksavailable and the one you bought AngelFire is one that I have wanted to know about! It is very pretty but how does it handle compared to the Addi? I really like the way the Addi is shaped so that it will not roll in my hand and am afraid that this hook will. Do you have that problem? Thank you for your input too AngelFire! :c9

I actually have really looked long and hard at the wooden holders for the bates hooks and was wondering just how easy it was to hold them... I was looking and the place where you would put your index finger and thumb on the flat part of the hook isn't covered by the wood so I was wondering just how comfortable they were? I was afraid that the end of the wood would be too blunt where it meets the hook to be comfortable. I wish I could see how it would look in someone's hand. Maybe I will just ask that seller. Thank you so much for your input Cherri! :yay

I have two hooks from the seller posted. I haven't had problems with any of her hooks.I haven'y has any problems with them rolling in my hand.

I also went to Profi hooks because my hands were getting sore from the angle on regular Bates and Boye hooks. They are my absolute favorite to use because of the thumb rest.

what about trying to felt you a handle onto your thread hooks? I have seen people do this.

I have also seen them make handles from sculpey..... that way you can mold and shape it into something that you like and feels good to your hands.

DH made me wood handles for all of my thread hooks and I LOVE them. My hands don't hurt when I do a lot in thread which is a lot. I don't think I could ever go back to a tiny thread hook again after my handles.

Angelfire, this is sad but I just love the profi addi hooks too and I think I should just not crochet so tightly! :xfin I am about done with the item I broke them on anyway and like you, like the thumb rest. There is a store just down the road that sells them cheaper than online and I like to support local little stores anyway! :shop I figure if I am going to break that thick of plastic then at least I know it snaps off clean. I am afraid the wood could splinter and stab me! :eek

Thank you for your suggestions too Nikki! I just sold my diamond wrap on ebay so I have some money to spend on at least 2 hooks! I think I will go after work today and pick some up. For the price and no shipping I think I will just get the ones down the street. Too bad the interchangeable ones didn't use the whole hook. I

Here is a tip you might use when making something that has to be stuffed. Instead of crocheting extra tight, get stockings at a dollar store, or someplace they are cheap, get them in different colors. Then use them to put the stuffing in so the white does not show through the holes.:hook

you could use Fimo or another form of bake hard clay, mould it to the shape you want over your prefered METAL hook (works with steel and aluminium) then bake as per the directions for the clay. this allows you to customise it how you want. colour, shape, patterns, shape lol anything you like!

Angelfire, this is sad but I just love the profi addi hooks too and I think I should just not crochet so tightly! :xfin I am about done with the item I broke them on anyway and like you, like the thumb rest. I figure if I am going to break that thick of plastic then at least I know it snaps off clean. I am afraid the wood could splinter and stab me! :eek

I understand...luckily I haven't broken a handle yet...only bend the metal ones.

And Tampa Doll the suggestion about buying socks to put inside is awesome...I will have to try that.

:hug You Tampa Doll are my Angel! That is a great idea... I will do that and just get my addi hooks again and do the crocheting like I usually do!

:rofl Okay Shell... now keeping this clean... my molding clay around a hook, :devil well... I had just better get the others! Sorry guys! I couldn't help it!

it's amzing what you can do with bakeable clay :U but seriously our member Angel made some and even made them soooo pretty! i found one on her blog but for whatever reason i can't link directly to that one post. i know i have photos in my folders she sent me via msn but i can't post them without her permission. hmm trying to remember who her 2006 Holiday Gift Exchange was as I know she sent some off to her. Anyway she had like roses on the ends of the hooks and vines trailing down the tops a little where you don't really hold the hook. very nice indeedy!! so i bet it would work just as well for moulding specific handles on your prefered plain hooks

I don't have access to the link Shell! Thank you so much for all your trouble though! Guess what I did tonight though... I just went out and bought the comfort grip Clover hooks! I found them on clearance at the local store here.

A more economical solution-- I purchased a set of comfort Grips.. they are foam tubes that uou slide onto the hook, giving you a softer and easier grip. Package has 10 assorted, fits up to a 6.5mm (k) hook, and was less than $4.00 I purchased through www.Joann.com

Mary

I recently purchased a hook that was incased in the bakeable clay. It's a size 00 and it worked so nice for lustersheen. You may look at a LYS for these type of hooks. I did see some at the Fiber and Folk Art Fest last weekend.

The clay gives the hook more area in which to hold on to and you are not gripping so tight. So it helps ease pain in the hands.

Eventually, I may buy another one, but at $20 a piece, I have to pace myself!:lol

:manyheart

Went to my local yarn store to get 2 new Profi Addi hooks and she doesn't reorder them... I found a Clover at Michaels I bought and have gotten the squishy foam covers and have 3 on my #7. I think I will try the clay later and am very serious about the one that changes out hooks! Thank you for your input!

Archived