Peaches & Cream Afghan CAL

lucie

This weekend I started making squares for an afghan using Peaches & Cream. I know that most folks here use acrylic yarn for afghans but I really like Peaches & Cream. The color choices are great, with lots of colors both in solids and ombres. Plus, you can't beat the $ when bought in cones, which is how I buy it.

Your afghan doesn't have to be made with squares. In fact, I'm probably going to start another one using a mile-a-minute pattern.

I'd love to have company while I work on my afghan(s). Anyone interested? Tampa Doll? :waving I know you love P&C!

I now realize that the title "Peaches & Cream Afghan CAL" may sound too restrictive to some. Anyone who would like to make an afghan or throw from ANY type of cotton yarn is more than welcome to join. There are lots of different cotton yarns out there in addition to Peaches & Cream and Sugar n Cream, including CottonTots, Bernat's Handicrafter, the delicious looking hand-dyed yarns offered on EBay, and many others. ALL ARE WELCOME!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Karen!

I have made an afghan using Cotton Ease and I don't think it was any heavier than one made with acrylic. I suppose alot depends on the tightness or openness of the stitch.

The squares I've made so far are "granny in the middle" squares but I think I may use one than one type of square. I have a feeling this project is going to evolve as I work on it.

I hope you can join me!

I'm going to start one with sugar and cream for a baby boy. Does that count? What is the difference between sugar and cream and peaches and cream? They both make me hungry!! :knit

ABSOLUTELY! WELCOME ABOARD!

They're both worsted weight 100% cotton, so you're covered!

I've had thoughts of doing this with all the sugar 'n cream/peaches & creme yarn I have on hand. Plus, I have a bunch of dishcloths and will be getting more dishcloths soon and I don't think I'll be using them to wash dishes cause they're just too pretty. Thing is, some of the cloths are circular and other shapes. I'd have to turn them into squares somehow.

But, alas, I must finish a couple of swaps and some WIPs first.

:manyheart:hug

Well, I'm on row 2 and I am stuck!! BAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :thair

I am using the baby blanket pattern from the Lily website with sugar and cream. It is a free pattern. There is also a free handout for this one. After I chain 3 I am going back in a few stitches into the 2nd chain and dc in there. Well, that takes me backwards from where I am 2 stitches away. This is confusing. Do I go in from the back of the chain or from the front? I dunno? Can someone look at this pattern and give me some idea. I can't enlarge the pic they have enough for me to see how the stitch actually looks. It is open weave sort of. I thought this looked so easy!!!!

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=124 You have to click on it to get the pattern printed out on PDF format in your word program.

Don't go on without me!! :hook

OK, I will join this one...LOL I am making two right now out of peaches and cream yarn. I am making a blue/white and white one with octagon squares and I am making another travelghan with white and Fariy Tale variegated in the shell pattern.....This is my first travelghan in the peaches and cream thread do kind of anxious to see how it comes out.

Thanks for the CAL!!!!!

OK, does anyone know what is the difference in Peaches and Cream and Sugar'n Cream??? I am using the Sugar'n cream. All of my cones are Sugar'n cream and I have about 30 cones. I did find about 20 balls that say Peaches and cream, they are the littler balls......said they are by the same company, so what is the difference???

OK, does anyone know what is the difference in Peaches and Cream and Sugar'n Cream??? I am using the Sugar'n cream. All of my cones are Sugar'n cream and I have about 30 cones. I did find about 20 balls that say Peaches and cream, they are the littler balls......said they are by the same company, so what is the difference???

Sugar & Cream is 100% Cotton worsted weight yarn, made by Lily Company. Peaches & Cream is 100% Cotton worsted weight yarn, made by Elmore-Pisgah. Interestly, for a time, Elmore-Pisgah was at one time owned by none other than Lily Company! According to their website, they were sold by Lily Co. to a holding company in 1989. You can buy Peaches & Cream from retailers such as Wal-Mart and elsewhere, as well as directly from Elmore-Pisgah online, which is how I buy it. The service is great and packages aways arrive within a week. They sell both balls and cones. Sugar & Cream is sold both by brick-and-mortar stores and by online retailers.

I like to buy cones because it saves money. Also, if I'm making something that takes quite a bit of yardage in one color, I can complete the entire project without having to start new yarn part of the way through.

I managed to scan one of my completed squares to show you what it looks like.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-7/1196318/newportsquare1.jpg

The motif is a bit misshapened because I squished it on the flatbed scanner at work. The ombre is Newport, the solid is ecru. I think it looks almost like watercolor. I will probably be using other motifs with the same colors also, though I haven't made you my mind which ones yet. decisions, decisions...

I managed to scan one of my completed squares to show you what it looks like.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-7/1196318/newportsquare1.jpg

The motif is a bit misshapened because I squished it on the flatbed scanner at work. The ombre is Newport, the solid is ecru. I think it looks almost like watercolor. I will probably be using other motifs with the same colors also, though I haven't made you my mind which ones yet. decisions, decisions...

Wow! That is very pretty...does look like watercolors.

Well, I'm on row 2 and I am stuck!! BAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :thair

I am using the baby blanket pattern from the Lily website with sugar and cream. It is a free pattern. There is also a free handout for this one. After I chain 3 I am going back in a few stitches into the 2nd chain and dc in there. Well, that takes me backwards from where I am 2 stitches away. This is confusing. Do I go in from the back of the chain or from the front? I dunno? Can someone look at this pattern and give me some idea. I can't enlarge the pic they have enough for me to see how the stitch actually looks. It is open weave sort of. I thought this looked so easy!!!!

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=124 You have to click on it to get the pattern printed out on PDF format in your word program.

Don't go on without me!! :hook

Hi TRH,

After you ch3 and turn, then skip the 1st 3 sts from the 1st row and dc in the 4th. Does this help?

Sorry, I can't make this baby afghan with cotton cause I can't figure out the pattern. So, I'm switching to baby coordinates and making another pattern of my own. So, this cotton CAL is not for me right now. Have fun!!!!! I'll switch over the the baby afghan CAL instead. :)

Sorry, I can't make this baby afghan with cotton cause I can't figure out the pattern. So, I'm switching to baby coordinates and making another pattern of my own. So, this cotton CAL is not for me right now. Have fun!!!!! I'll switch over the the baby afghan CAL instead. :)

I'm going to miss you! By the way, I LOVED!! reading your posts during the Summer Secret Pals. You often made my day! :D

I tried your pattern and I couldn't figure out row 2 either.:think

I got an email from another poster who said that the stitch has a name like a reverse double crochet or something like that. I decided to skip it and try something else. I'm glad you enjoyed the swap at camp. I really did too, but it wore me out and I have too many projects now to do another one this year. Maybe in the spring!! :manyheart

I'll join but I am currently using Bernat cotton tots yarn.

I love peaches and cream or any cotton at all. I have some 11 and 14 ounce skeins of bernat cotton too.

I made several 2 strand cotton blankets for my ds when he was born and I love them. I don't think they are too heavy at all either.

I am making a varigated baby blanket one strand right now. I generally crochet with 2 strands though.

I'll join but I am currently using Bernat cotton tots yarn.

I love peaches and cream or any cotton at all. I have some 11 and 14 ounce skeins of bernat cotton too.

I made several 2 strand cotton blankets for my ds when he was born and I love them. I don't think they are too heavy at all either.

I am making a varigated baby blanket one strand right now. I generally crochet with 2 strands though.

Welcome to the CAL Pam. Wow, I'm impressed that you made the 2-stranded cotton blankets! Perhaps folks think that cotton would be too heavy because it IS heavier when wet. I brought one of my squares to work yesterday to scan and showed it to one of the lawyers in the building. His first comment was how soft and comfortable it felt. He was surprised when I told him that most afghans are made from acrylic. Perhaps it's because we live in the absurdly humid Deep South, but he agrees with me that cotton is more comfortable down here. He also said he thinks that acrylic might generate more static electricity. Don't know about that. I just like working with it!:hook

I got an email from another poster who said that the stitch has a name like a reverse double crochet or something like that. I decided to skip it and try something else. I'm glad you enjoyed the swap at camp. I really did too, but it wore me out and I have too many projects now to do another one this year. Maybe in the spring!! :manyheart

I know what you mean, TRH! It wore me out, too, but it was so much fun and I, too, enjoyed your posts at camp and sparing back and forth with you.:lol I never laughed at my computer screen so much; I mean, just burst out with a really big laugh...what do you call that? Can't think of it now. It's too late and I need to get my self in bed! :manyheart:hug

I'm going to have to join this...the last four 'ghans I've made/am making are 100% cotton, so that trend will likely continue. I am Mary Jo's (Tampa Doll's) partner in crime when it comes to PnC and the Elmore-Pisgah company. I have the border to finish on dh's "psychedelic"-ghan which is put on hold whilst I make a baby blanket out of Sinfonia (Mercerized 100% cotton, sport weight), another sort of psychedelic ghan....Not sure what's next but I stocked up on CottonTots when it was on sale at Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago. Are you doing a "post pics on friday" kind of thing? I know JulieKay does her CALs that way and it's always fun to get a look at what everyone's doing and is encouraging to get something done to show off progress.

For anyone still interested in this pattern, I have actually done this twice in acrylic (one in Caron SS and another in an off-brand boucle). the second row is an X stitch. There are several pattern stitch sites that could explain it much better than I but I thought just knowing what it is supposed to look like would help. The blanket does turn out very nice.

Hi, ladies!

Jeannie passed on the link to this CAL - I'm in the same situation she is - lots of pretty cloths of different shapes/sizes that I want to make into a throw.

It'll be an interesting challenge!

I've been working hard on my peaches & cream afghan. I've finished 28 squares and here's how it looks so far...

MVC-069F.JPG

MVC-074F.JPG

I want to start another 'ghan before I finish this one! :hook

I'm probably about half finished......

Archived