worsted weight cotton yarn..need suggestions

gingerchai

I was interested in buying some peaches and cream yarn (elmore pisgah) and was wondering if its a better quality yarn than sugar and cream (made by lily). I'm planning to make dishcloths, washcloths, and headscarves and wanted to use a slightly higher quality worsted weight yarn.

also, has anyone used lion cotton from lion brand? if you have any favorites in 100% cotton that i haven't mentioned please share.

tracy:)

I have used all three. I like the color combos Sugar and Cream has to offer. Personally, they're all the same to me. Michael's has the Lion Cotton on clearance now for $3 a big ball (about 3 ounces). The sugar and Cream is also on sale now for $0.97 a ball. Wal-Mart carries the Peaches N Cream for $5.99 a big cone, so it is the cheapest, but not enough color combos for me

My Aunt always swore Peaches and Cream was a cheaper /thinner version of Sugar and Cream and refused to use it. Cotton tots, while a little thinner than worsted, is really soft, especially for body/face cloths.

I use Peaches & Creme for washcloths and dishcloths and find it to be quite good. I can't recall if I've used Sugar'n Cream. Peaches & Creme seems to be more available in my area because I live in NC where it is made. I have also used Lion Cotton (used to be called Kitchen Cotton); it may not seem as soft in the skein, but after the first washing it is very soft.

I would't spend the money for something like Patons Grace on washcloths (and I'm not cheap; I will spend money on yarn... if it is right for the project). The regular worsted weight cottons are very nice for this purpose.

Cotton chenille is nice for washcloths, too, and very, very soft. Lots of that available on eBay. Just search for cotton chenille yarn.

I haven't done any headscarves, but a higher quality might be in order there... you may get more drape.

Bernat Cottontots is a worsted weight. I like working with it for kids garments and have made some head scarves with it. I have never made a dishcloth with it.

I prefer the Sugar&Cream - the Peaches was slightly rougher (or at least the one I tried was).

Cotton Tots is my fave! But I made a soap cozy out of it once (basically a bag you put the soap in - its a "fancy" washcloth) and it just got all slimy and gross... Didn't seem to really scrub like a sugarncream soap cozy/washcloth.

after reading all of your ideas..i think i'm going to order some more peaches and cream(to make several of the bath poufs from the latest issue of crochet me and dishcloths for the swap), do a search for cotton chenille on eBay and order some higher quality cotton yarn for the headscarves (thanks for the idea donna!)

tracy :)

Archived