What would happen???

chsarrow

Question

I am making a ripple afghan using Red Heart Soft Baby New Mint Twinkle. The pattern is 11 dc, 3dc in next, 11dc, skip1, 1 dc, skip 1 then repeat. All this is to be done in back loop. This makes one ripple.

My question is would I mess it up if when I get to 3dc I go through both loops...and do the same with the 1 dc at the bottom before repeating.

I was wondering if this would make it look funny and not work...I want to try it because the yarn seems to be stretching some and thought if I attached it every so often maybe it would work.

Would like your opinions and help before I try. Hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

I would stick to the pattern as it does give the best result. You might be able to give it a go like you said but it might not be as effective. I would try it for a row and just see what it turns out like:hook

You would see a 'ridge' going up the length of the afghan where you went thru both loops rather than the back. It might be something you find attractive, but it's really not necessary to 'attach' the yarn more tightly if you're working to gauge.

I did a ripple pattern that said to use sc and BLs only, but I used hdc and both loops. It worked up faster, needed less rows and had flat look/feel to it, rather than a ridged look/feel. Some people like the ridged look. It makes the rows stand out. It's all a matter of opinion, what do you like. Do a swatch and see how it looks/feels.

Ellie 13

If you want to secure your stitches you can use a technique where you put your hook through the back loop and the loop that is just below the back loop. If you try fishing for that loop (on a practice run) you will see that it is very easy to get into it and you have a more secure stitch.

Put your hook in as usual then look at the back and you will see the loop I mean. Trust me on this one :eek

I use this technique all the time and I like how it feels because I crochet so loosely that I can get major holes happening if my stitch is not anchored.

Archived