Adding a new color in a granny square....?

boo1

Question

6 answers to this question

Personally, I tie knots and weave in ends (4"-6"). This site disagrees about the knots, but might be helpful (see changing colors, about halfway down).

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/index.htm

BTW I use a surgeon's knot (like a regular knot but you put the thread through the loop twice, it's more secure). I've never had one break off yet.

:hook In a word, no.

It will depend what sort of Granny Square you are doing but this is what I do.

Finish off the previous colour then hold both the old and new yarn, with at least a 4 inch tail, behind the work. Hook the new colour through the place you are continuing then work the number of CH required.

Now work as many stitches as you can over both tails then leave them hanging to be woven in later.

If you are doing a solid stitch, you will have been able to work over enough to just trim off the hairy tails later.

If you are doing the open Granny stitch, you will need to weave in the ends when finished.

The less times you change colours, the less ends you have to neaten off later.

th_CrochetSamples020.jpg

This is a solid square where you would be able to work over the tails as you start the new colour.

th_TradeMe345.jpg

This is an open Granny Square where you would only be able to work a few stitches over the tail, 6 if you join at a corner.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, I see that I have only done half the corner at the start of the open stitch square but you can do the whole corner at the start, like the corner where the hook is.

In another word, yes. :wlol

When I work multi-coloured grannies, I change to a new start location for every colour. So I completely close out one colour and start fresh with a new (knotted) loop. I find this makes a stronger granny as well.

For one thing, when I do grannies I work on a production line. Every square is started to a set point, (the first colour change) and then every square is worked to the next colour change and so on and so on.

This is one of those personal preference things.

It's what we all love about crochet, we can do what we like and (if it works) we are off and running. I was reading the "I crochet backwards" thread and those gals make that work so have at it and make lots of grannies. :rofl

In another word, yes. :wlol

For one thing, when I do grannies I work on a production line. Every square is started to a set point, (the first colour change) and then every square is worked to the next colour change and so on and so on.

This is one of those personal preference things.

It's what we all love about crochet, we can do what we like and (if it works) we are off and running. I was reading the "I crochet backwards" thread and those gals make that work so have at it and make lots of grannies. :rofl

I am working on a baby afghan and I'm doing my squares the same way-working the first two rounds on each square before adding a new color. Seems to go faster and I can do the squares without thinking. I love that!

I hold the 2 strands together, start with the new color, and knot it afterwards close to the work and weave in the tails. I'd rather know that it is secure than have my unknotted weaving unravel in the wash.

When I do a granny that is just going to be photographed or lie demurely on someone's couch, I will use the production method described above, adding the new yarn at corners, then have a Weave-in Fest needling into the corners, and then clean up the humungous pile of clipped loose ends, preferably while watching an action DVD.

If I am going to present this object to someone who is going to really use it-maybe a blankie that is going to get dragged arnd and loved for a few years, I will also, using sewing needle and thread, catch those woven-in loose ends with a few invisible (the thread sinks into the yarn) sewing sts.

This is a little obsessive, but much better than a small person carrying arnd a blankie with flapping loose ends.

Archived