whip stitching?

Jess.in.WI

Question

So am I missing something? When I went to assemble my sisters wedding 'ghan it said to sew the panels together. Well trying to pull such a long length of thread through every stitch got pretty old after about 6 whips, so I ended up pulling that out and just single crocheted the panels together which proved to be much quicker and easier. Am I missing something with the whip stitch?

8 answers to this question

nah, you're not missing a thing. 9 years ago, i did that loong string of yarn to whip-stich-assemble the first sampler afghan i made, because that is what the instructions said to do. i didn't like pulling the long tangley string through each stich, especially at the beginning of the join. i also thought it was a flimsy way to attach comparably sturdier square pieces.

i tried the single crochet joining for some granny squares, but did not like the bulky appearance of it at all.

jump ahead to 2007 and the sampler afghan i just finished. with a J hook and worsted weight, i joined with an alternating slip stitch, meaning i slip-stitched into one side loop to the left, then went across and up one to slip stitch one side loop on the right, and so on. this gave me a sturdy seem with only a slight ridge. I was satisfied with this but will probably keep trying to eliminate that little ridge.

-J

oh now see I kinda like that ridge... on the afghan made with the double ender it is very ridgy to begin with, a ripple effect which causes the reversable pattern. I think on that particular afghan that ridge between panels added more texture and I think it looks nice too!

Thanks for the replies, I don't feel so bad about not "getting it" now! :hook

I absoluetly HATE, HATE, HATE to whipstitch things together!

I'm right there with you!

I can't even explain how much I hate to whipstitch anything together. I have nothing against it, {so please no hate mail} it's just not for me. I'm sure it has it's useful purpose, but I personally just have not found it yet.

I would rather slip stitch or single crochet the items together. I think it's a much sturdier seam.

If you use the alternating sl st as Jess315 says, you should ch 1 between each sl st. You get less ridge and a slight lacy look. I use sc in one piece, ch 1, sc in the other piece. There are plenty of "join as you go" patterns out there too.

Ellie 13

Archived