HELP! Foundation Row?

boo1

Question

:think

I'm looking at a scarf pattern and it has a Foundation Row, then Row 1, then 2, then repeat until you're done.

What is a foundation row if it's not Row 1? Nowhere in the pattern do you actually do this row UNLESS it's the first row you stitch but you don't count it as row 1.

Can someone please clarify? Thanks!!!

9 answers to this question

Foundation row: Skip 4 ch, *(1 cluster, 2 ch, and 1 cluster).....

(Right above that, it says chain 35.)

So I'm assuming that I chain 35, do the Foundation Row, then Rows 1 and 2 over and over. But if that is correct, why don't they call the Foundation Chain "Row 1" and the others Rows 2 and 3?

:think:yarn

Laura

There is a developing protocol within crochet of working a set-up row or a foundation row. It is unfortunate that they are calling it by a name (foundation row) that is already taken for a specific technique.

I am working on a vest pattern now that began with a set-up row but that is how it is labeled so that helps.

Is this a mile-a-minute type pattern, where you start from the center and work in rounds out to the edges? If that is the case, then by doing the "foundation row" you are setting up the center round.

:think The call it the foundation row because it is being worked into the CH and so is never repeated.

They could call it Row 1 then Row 2, Row 3. Repeat rows 2 & 3 for the pattern but some just choose to call it the Foundation row.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived