yarn substitution for homespun

I want to make an afghan for a friend who recently ended up with his leg broke in about 14 places and just told me that his doctors think that he may never walk again. Thankfully, he doesn't believe that in the least. However, I found that pattern I want to make for him. unfortunately, the pattern calls for homespun. Which is a bit more expensive than I would like to go on my budget. Being as I don't really make that much a week, most of the super nice yarns like such are a bit more than I can afford. And while I love him dearly, I do think that I think he would understand if I didn't go broke to make this! I was wondering what a good substitute for this would be. I know basically any bulky yarn might be a good option but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on fairly nice, comfy yarn that won't break my bank. He is worth homespun, but I would prefer to find something a bit more budget wise and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-americanaAfghan.html

Bernat Soft Boucle is a bit thinner, but just as nice, in my opinion. If you needed to, you could buy one color one week and the others another time; that way you'd have the same dyelots, although the Bernat says no dye lot, you want to try and get it all in one go, and make sure the colors are the same.

Tell your friend not to give up, and he'll be walking one of these days.

there are quite a few flag patterns you can find free online that use regular old acrylic.

I totally agree with frogsrock on homespun - it's gorgeous but it's too delicate for my taste.

Simply Soft would be a good substitute, except that it's a bit thinner. You could use two strands, but then your cost would go up accordingly. I'd try Simply Soft with a big hook. It should have a similar drape as the Homespun and the bigger hook size will help with a larger gauge.

Your other option is a regular worsted weight like Red Heart Super Saver or Bernat Super Value. RHSS is really soft when it's washed. I was surprised how much it loosened up when my sister washed the rug that I made for her. It was like a different yarn entirely.

Bernat Chunky (I think that's the right name) would be nice too. It can be found at the larger WalMarts and it comes in red, white and blue. I liked working with it and it gets really soft after washing.

thanks everyone for their thoughts. I think I am going to go with two things of worsted weight. I really like the feel of Caron and their 1 lb. balls are only 4.50 at the moment on jo-ann's so I can get all the yarn in one shot without going completely broke. And I will just have to live with the left over bits. Oh darn. :hook

Those are really cheap and if you get a JoAnn's coupon in their weekly flyer you can get it for almost half price - they are usually coming in the mail or in the Sunday local paper!

I happen to be working on a project with Caron 1 pounder and just whipped up a gauge swatch to your pattern with its recommended K hook, and my gauge matched the pattern perfectly with only 1 strand. This stuff is thicker than RH, I bought it for a sweater but it was too thick and stiff so now it's becoming a lapghan :)

Homespun is not worth the money in my opinion. Perhaps I got a bad batch, but I made a project with several skeins and the only thing holding the 'fluff' together is thread, the thread was broken in many places and I had many yards of nothing but useless unspun fluff. I finished the project but don't think it will hold up well.

I think it is Red Heart that makes Light-n-Lofty. It seems very like Homespun to me.

+1 . Red Heart's Light & Lofty (and Brighty & Lofty) are pretty much just like the Lion Brand Homespun. I am making a multi-colored afghan that includes both. Try checking out a skein of it before you start lugging around two skeins of worsted at a time. :)

I happen to be working on a project with Caron 1 pounder and just whipped up a gauge swatch to your pattern with its recommended K hook, and my gauge matched the pattern perfectly with only 1 strand. This stuff is thicker than RH, I bought it for a sweater but it was too thick and stiff so now it's becoming a lapghan :)

Thanks, Granny Square! :manyheart:hug I'm glad I didn't buy the yarn yet now.

Also, I will definatly have to check out the Light and Lofty yarn. If not for this project, at least for the next one.

I too was going to recommend Red Heart's Light & Lofty. Worsted is nothing like it, really, but L&L is so very similar in texture. Boucle's tend to just have the tufted bits in it, but L&L is all along the strand the way homespun is.

Archived