Ever wanna stop crocheting?

I get a little tired of crocheting sometimes but then I just put down that project and start a quick small one....I constantly crochet for charity so it helps keep me motivated by knowing I am making a difference with my pieces. Its a pleasure to have the knowledge to crochet even if it does cramp my fingers, lol.

Yes, sometimes I need a change from crochet, although not very often! What I do during those times is knit, sew, latch hook, loom, and/or read!

Sometimes I just get in a slump, especially if I'm working on a large item, like an afghan. What I do then is make a few smaller items in between the large one(s) or go through patterns to get inspired again! A great way to do this is to go to the library and either leaf through a bunch of books or check them out. You can also go to places like amazon.com and do a search of crochet books, write down the titles, and then see if your local library has them. It's a GREAT way to "check out" books before you buy them, if you are looking to add to your collection! I don't know if you guys have a library cooperative system where you can do searches for books and then place holds on them? We have that here in Southeast Michigan, and I LOVE it! They send me e-mails (or you can have them call you with a recording) when a book is ready for pick up! And I can have them out for 21 days and oftentimes can recheck them for another 21 days!

There are SO MANY hobbies/crafts available to us! Isn't this GREAT?! :clap

I always take a couple weeks off from crocheting after finishing a huge project, or I get all my Christmas presents done - after all those projects in a short amount of time (because I always start on them too late! :D ) my hands cramp up at the mere sight of a hook for a little while. But I never take too long of a break. I don't get to crochet every day, so I guess I get enough short breaks of a day or two that I don't get too tired of it.

I just watched my tivo episode of Knitty Gritty. I think it was today's episode, anyway, they were using a knitting loom. The ladies said it would be great for anyone that could no longer crochet or knit because of arthritis, tendonitis, etc... Maybe you could check one out and see if it could tide you over until this hopefully passes.?

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have several knitting machines so do have some alternatives and one even has a motor. One problem with that is that there is usually hand work and often crochet for finishing items made on a machine but it is minimal compared with crocheting an afghan or other large item. Hopefully the current flare will subside and I'll be able to do limited crocheting again. Zaraliz

Sometimes I will pick up my crocheting.....do a few stitches and realize that I am NOT enjoying it....that it feels more like a chore than a recreation......that is what I would call crochet burn out.....but thankfully it passes quickly. I just poke around in some patterns that I have saved, and I usually find something inspiring to make, and that builds my enthusiasm up again.

Zaraliz I am sorry to hear that you HAVE To stop crocheting for awhile for medical reasons.....I have admired your work, and more than a few of your pieces are in my files for inspiration! Have you thought of trying hooks like these? I have never tried them, but they look as though you can have a really nice grip without too much muscle action! It might just be easier than learning to crochet left handed!

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Supplies/trigger_grip_hooks_main.htm

They are a bit expensive, but maybe if you just buy ONE and give it a try, you might find they are helpful for you.

Here is another cheaper option...

http://www.maggiescrochet.com/pages/Supplies/Clover_soft_grip_hooks.htm

It just makes me so sad :( to imagine ANYONE being told they can no longer do a much loved pastime.....it would nearly KILL me!:eek

Archived