Do you always line purses/bags?

I'm wondering if I need to line the wrist bag I'm currently making. I'm thinking some yarns/stitches may not need it as much as others do.

I'd like some guidelines/suggestions and tips on how to successfully line a bag!

thank you

Good question! I've been wondering how to line them, too. I haven't lined any yet because I don't know how. Most of the time it works out fine, but on occassion my pen or keys poke through.

I'm looking forward to some instructions now too!

for fulled bags I generally don't, but otherwise I feel like I have to because the stitches really do tend to streeeeeetch (unless it's cotton or linen or a few other fibers).

In my case, I noted how other bags do linings -- they usually take a lining that is already stitched up to fit the inside of the bag, tack if to the bottom (once on either side, lengthwise), and then stitch the top of the lining to the inside top of the bag.

This is hard to explain! :)

That's pretty much how I've done it in the past. My sewing work is pretty bad though, so I prefer not to line, which is why I've been doing mostly fulled bags lately! :lol

Looking forward to seeing what other people have to say :)

I line all of mine.. what I do is lay my bag flat on the material and than cut 2-3 inches bigger than the bag all the way around.. Than I sew the material together to make a bag and than put it in the bag and depending on the purse I would either hand sew the bag inside(on the top of the bag) or machine sew it..

If you dont want to line your bags and dont want them to stretch or holes poking.. Use a matching size 10 crochet thread or a contrasting color the same time with the yarn.. This will keep it from stretching. And you wont have things poking thru either..

I have a background in fashion design and pattern making and this is how I line a bag. First I look at the bag and notice which basic shapes make up the bag. In the show and tell section my tan nylon cord bag was lined this way. It has a rectangle on the bottom, squares on front and back, and triangles on each end. Then I take measurements and make flat pattern pieces for each shape adding 1/2 inch seam allowances. Next I sew the pieces together making a bag like the crocheted bag. Then I just drop it inside the crocheted bag and machine stitch around the top. You can of course add as many pockets as you want just by sewing various size squares of fabric to the lining. If a sturdy bottom is needed, a piece of plastic needlepoint canvas can be cut to fit. Zippers can also be put in. Hope this helps.

Danielle

Some super replies!! Thanks to you all.

I'm off to find some good fabric now!! (have lots, it's a matter of finding it in my stash)

where's that sewing machine icon????? Thanks again!:hook

I made 2 of the wristbags and I didn't line them , they don't really need it. I never line bags I'm just not good at it. I use a little bag to put anything small in & no problem.

most of the time i do .. here are some hints that i have glened over the years.. assemble your lining.. and press down your seam at the top.. then you can still machine sew it to your bag with out having to wrestle with it .. and it still looks nice.. the iron is your friend LOL.. i used to hate pressing seams on anything .. thought it was wasting my time.. but the results are worth it.. i install my zips very last.. another non wrestling thing.. hope i have helped

Archived