peacock tail afghan?

Jess.in.WI

Question

Can anyone point me towards online directions, or is there some way that I could get this pattern from you? I'm sorry, I don't know all the etiquette yet to do this properly!

I saw a picture on ebay but the auction has already ended. I saved the pic and will post it if that's ok? It actually looks like peacock tail feathers with the eye at the end, and I love peacocks so I really want to do this afghan!

Thanks for any help!!! :hook

23 answers to this question

Argh! I ordered this book used from Amazon just so I could do this afghan. The book arrived today, and - the peacock tail afghan isn't in it!!:(

Wow, what a shame. Hopefully there are other patterns that catch your eye.

The book I have with the peacock tail afghan in it is called Afghan Enchantment copyright 1996 by The Needlecraft Shop. The ISBN is 1-57367-036-7. The cover has a pastel granny-type afghan on it (green, rose, white) in a circled photograph. The book itself is a mottled pastel green. AT the bottom of the cover it says "A Dreamy Collection of 50 Captivating Crochet Designs."

Peacock Splendor starts on page 118.

Hope this helps.

I just checked my library - and while it isn't available at my local library, it is available through the inter-library loan thingy that libraries do nowadays, so I've requested it.  Now I'll be able to see what all the fuss is about!  LOL  Anyway, that might be an option for those that don't want to pay anywhere from just under $60 to over $200 for this book... (like me)  :wink

Up thread (8 years ago) it was mentioned the pattern was in a book called Afghan Enchantment.  It's on Amazon and one other place I saw (for a really high price), I didn't check all the sources on Google but that gives you a start at least.

If someone here has a copy of the pattern they can't copy it for you, that's against copyright laws and the rules of this forum.  

Curious.. did you get the right book? (peacock tail afghan) I know its months after your original post but i stumbled upon your question looking for the same thing. My wife had had that book and several years now its gone. What had started as a joke became a challenge. That book was once owed by her mother who has passed away. Ironic part is the peacock tail is what she was working on before she passed. She made the star one that was in the same book, but has yet to put just the border on, and the book was lost in the move. Which is where the challenge came in. Not only does she want to put the border on she wants to make the peacock tail that her mom nevered got to finish (cancer) but that was several years ago and she said i wouldn't find the book. well i did the name of the book is Afghan enchantments by Jennifer Christiansen Simcik and i found it on amazon for 5.00 anywayif you found sorry to bore you with my story sounds like you when through some trouble to might have been easier for me though seeing that i have seen the cover before

Thanks, Jess and Birdlady! You're right, Jess, the Afghan Traditions is a nice book anyway and there are certainly some things in there I will make. Now I'm off to hunt down Afghan Enchantment, cos I want that peacock!:wink

squeakygirl, I did the exact same thing! I did contact the ebay seller and she said that she put the wrong title with the book she was selling. That pattern is not in Afghan Traditions, but Afghan Enchantment, page 118, just like what Birdlady said. They're both wonderful books tho!!! I finally got my book today along with two others from the same seller and I'm in pattern overload!!! I want to do them all and it's killing me! I need to finish my WIP and then I'll do something for me... I thought it would be the peacock afghan, but how can one choose?!?! I'll have plenty of time to go through my books tomorrow as I sit at the dreaded DMV to get my license renewed!!

Okay, you can be the one to "chair" the peacock feather afghan CAL. ;) But I haven't received my book yet and, like you, really can't get going on it till summer's through.

thanks! :clap Birdlady we'll have to do this together! I was really happy cuz that $6 includes the shipping! Can't beat that for a hardcover book!

Well that is a better deal than I got on eBay! With shipping, I paid a little over $9. It might be fun to do this afghan together (I'm sure others will be interested as well) but I'm committed (or should be committed) to Katchkan's Viceroy Butterfly Shawl right now. It might take the rest of my life to complete!

But let's keep a CAL in the back of our minds ... perhaps in the fall?

I just won that book on eBay for $4.99 and should receive it in the next day or two. Oddly, I was the only bidder. I wanted it for the peacock afghan. It's another one of those books that comes up on eBay from time to time, but the $6+ on amazon can't be beat either!

That sounds like it will be beautiful. I love peacocks! When I worked for a florist a lady that raised peacocks died. Her family had her casket piece made of peacock feathers with a few flowers. It was beautiful!

Thank you Empress! I purchased a book off of Amazon, for $6.35 what the heck? :hook

I'm curious if it's the same edition, but either way I'm getting oodles of new patterns! I wonder that because the cover of the 1996 book is not shown in those pics in the auction I posted... we'll see!

Thanks again!

I'm really curious as to the overall shape of this afghan, and I'm not using the colors pictured, I want to try to get a little closer to the real colors of the tail feather, and I have a vase full to compare colors off of. :yes

I've already decided that instead of those pesky tassels I'm going to get the peacock colored Fun Fur and I'm going to edge each eye with that... that should make it look a bit more realistic!

*is excited to get started*

Archived