what yarn or thread is best for washcloths

NanaM3

Question

9 answers to this question

Sugar and Cream is your basic kitchen/bath cotton yarn. It says 4 ply WW but it's thin. The largest size hook I use with it is a G. Some people use it with an E for hotpads and such.

Crochet cotton thread -- I assume the kind you use to make doilies and such -- is not absorbent enough for wash cloths or dish cloths. Something like Sugar n Cream, Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton, or Bernat's Cottontots work much better.

Cottontots gets rave reviews for its softness - it's great for baby gifts.

The regular Handicrafter (WW) or whatever with a textured stithc can be very good if you want an exfoliating cloth.

I've been using the Bernat Cotton Tots for face cloths - I give them as gifts with a bar of specialty soap. They have been very well received! I used the basic sedge stitch washcloth pattern from Lion Brand (organic cotton was used for the pattern), but I used an I hook and made it only 13 'sedge' repeats across so it was a bit looser and softer (the Cotton Tots is a larger size yarn than the organic cotton). :hook

Cotton Tots is my new favorite - I REALLY like it because the cloths get really "fluffy" and thick when you wash them. They make wonderful washcloths and dishcloths!

For luxury face cloths I used cotten chenielle; but that is pricey. Cottontots is wonderful for face cloths, and I use Peaches & Cream or Sugar & Cream for basic bath, dish or cleaning cloths and towels. I've made several dish towels and a hanging towel for my bathroom as well as a larger puppy-sized towel for my sweet new little puppy.

Archived