Not quite sure what to call this! Thread Motif I guess!!

DreamsOfYarn

I was going through my crochet books last night trying to find something new and easy to do. I came across a beautiful ghan made of motifs. I am not real keen on making motifs, then having to join them. But I loved the motifs, so I decided to make one to see how I liked it. It was easy to make, and I really like it.

This morning I decided to try making it in thread. Since I haven't done much with thread, I thought I'd start with size 3 thread. It worked up fast, and for my first attempt at thread on my own, I'm pleased with it. I need to work on my tension, though. I don't know what I will use this for. But I will be making more, and will make my way to size 10 (I hope).

Here is the thread one. It is actually purple.

th_purplemotif1.jpg

Here are both the thread one and the original yarn one.

th_motifs1.jpg

(both clickable)

I use small things like that for coasters. It turned out very pretty in thread, great idea.

Thank You!

I forgot to add that it is 7", so it is a little big for a coaster. When I make one in a size 10 thread, that might be small enough for a coaster.

Thread tension is just different from yarn and takes some practice--I think your first attempt looks just fine, and no one would KNOW it was a first attempt by looking at it. If it's 7 inches...maybe add a simple border and call it a small doily.

Thread tension is just different from yarn and takes some practice--I think your first attempt looks just fine, and no one would KNOW it was a first attempt by looking at it. If it's 7 inches...maybe add a simple border and call it a small doily.

I am thinking about giving it to my Mother, since her favorite color is purple and she asked me the other day if I have ever made a doily. I think that was her way of hinting that she wanted one.

Now to decide how to finish it off :think

I love that motif, I agree, put a edging on it , it is a doily..... You could also make another one and put them together and have a hotpad..... See you can do size 10, I know you can.... Your tension looks good, I think you are on your way...

That's a real pretty pattern!! Love the purple!! I guess if you did use size 10 thread, that would make a really nice looking "coaster". Great job!!:clap

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Yes, I have the thread addiction now!! I want to make so many things in thread, but I really need to get the ghans and rugs finished first.

That's a real pretty pattern!! Love the purple!! I guess if you did use size 10 thread, that would make a really nice looking "coaster". Great job!!:clap

I did end up making one in size 10 thread yesterday. I posted that one too. It is pink. I will be making more of them. :yes

Archived