Burial gown question

Hi Everyone.

I have started making burial gowns for preemies. I am currently making one for a 1-2 lb preemie and was wondering about how long the skirt part should be. I have made it from the bodice to the bottom about 13 inches long.

My question is "Would that be long enough?". I am thinking most babies have been curled in the fetal position most of the time they are in the womb, and if the preemie passes away shortly after birth, it would probably be in that same position. Am I thinking right on this?

Does anyone know? Or would their legs be stretched out? I know this is weird to ask. I did see a newborn baby in church and she was very curled up after a week.

My kids are 14 and 16, so I really don't remember.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

:manyheart

the average baby is about 47-53cm long at birth (30cm is 12") so you'd imagine a preemie to be much smaller. newborns like to curl up in the fetal position as this is what is known to them and it takes them a while to feel comfortable to sprawl out. remembering a deceased baby can only lie how it is positioned i think it is up to the funeral director/mortician as to how they're placed in the coffin. i am fortunate enough not to have had this experience so i am making assumptions and do not know for sure.

the best thing to do is to ask the place you plan to donate if they have any specifc request for these. i know that alot of places require the back to be open to make dressing easier..tied with ribbon or buttoned up after placing on the baby. this is a special calling and I want to thank you. i had a baby born early that lived only 3 hours and i can tell you clothes for him was the last thing on my mind. these gowns take a burden off the family at a time when choices about these things should not have to be made.

I make gowns for a hospital up here that had examples of past clothing that worked well for them. The items I am making are very very tiny and simple. They are similar to small sacks. I do make some small gowns, but the back is open and a few have open underarms as well. When you get an idea of what they want, maybe pm me and I can give you links to the patterns I use. I dont think we can do this on this forum. If so, just let me know and I will post it.

thanks, Debbie

Hi, my husband is a pathologist at our Children's hospital and has the unfortunate responsibility of performing autopsies. I just posed your question to him and he said they are not in the fetal position, but rather, lay flat. You are doing a wonderful thing! Carey

Check under warmheartswarmbabies.org. Go to patterns, crochet. The top pattern is the burial bunting. I used size E hook and very fine yarn. I also make the gown right below it, but that pattern is bigger, still very very preemie sized though. I do not use all the ribbon the picture shows due to the reduced size. I use thinner ribbon and not so long. I also added arm slots per the hospital's request, so they can fold the baby's hands outside of the gown.

These are quick patterns. Thought it would also help reduce my stash, but it doesnt.......

Debbie

my nephew weighed one pound fourteen ounces, and was about twelve inches long.....good idea about leaving the back open, I use it for doll clothes, which probably be a good place to check for. patterns. The hospital I checked with, tend to swaddle the baby in a tiny blanket, not a gown but I'm sure that is because they don't have many gowns. Bless you for your kindness I make preemie hats and bootees for preemies I won't even consider that they might be used in a burial, though I'm sure they are. My nephew just celebrated his thirtieth birthday.....what a miracle!!!!

My cousin had a premie last year and he was the size of a Barbie Doll, just 11 inches long at 20 weeks gestation. we lost him but a wonderful person donated the burial gown for him. It is a huge burden taken off the family's shoulders to have these items donated. Bless you for your thoughtfulness.

Archived