British terms?

Anya

Question

I have been looking at some sites for patterns and I keep seeing these goregous patterns but ones I really like are all in british terms. Is there a way I would be able to convert them to american terms?:think

7 answers to this question

If you are saving them into a Word Doc, you can use search and replace to make the changes. dc to sc, tr to dc etc.

Just be sure you put a space before and after the " tr " in your search or you will find some interesting words sometimes :wlol

:cheer The stitches are the same, just the names are slightly different.

Just think of it as learning a new language and you are just learning enough to read the pattern.

CH, Chain, SL ST, Slip Stitch, are just the same,

SC = Single Crochet US which is DC Double Crochet UK,

DC= Double Crochet US which is TR Treble UK.

TR = Treble US which is DTR Double Treble UK.

What they did was add in SC then take everything else up a stitch.

If a UK Pattern says DC, you will do a SC.

If the pattern says TR, you will do a DC.

It is very easy to adapt once you realise what sort of pattern you have so you dont really even need to change the pattern.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

PS UK patterns tend to say 3CH where US pattern tend to say CH3 so that is a simple difference to sort.

I joined Crochetville when it was at its other site because I was crocheting using North American terms with a British book. I didn't know what was wrong as I hadn't crocheted for years. Some nice people explained it to me. I have patterns in both terms and you do catch on to converting them in your head. Some of the really old patterns in Canada seem to use British terms too. Personally I think it was because crochet was too easy when compared to knitting (just 2 kinds of hand holds and a couple of ways to hold to the yarn) and some evil people decided to spice things up a bit.

Rachel

Archived