Feet Need Socks Crochet-along

Donna

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i want to take pictures of my socks-and my finished summer sweater.

i am a computer novice-

i would like suggestions-i tried the webcam but it wasn't working well.

joanne

Boy am I glad I asked my husband to try on the sock after I was only about 3 inches into the length of the foot because it dosen't fit him.... :angry

I'm adapting a pattern for a smaller size foot than he has... Because I am adapting the patern, and becuase I've never made a sock before, I keep asking him to try on the sock... He thought I was weird asking him to check to see if it would fit when I had two inches of the leg portion done... Now he gets it... He was so worried about upsetting me that he didn't want to admit it didn't fit comfortably... But, the stiches were streaching out...

The good news is I dont' have to rip out turning the heal.... I have to rip out everything after that... But, It could be worse.. I could have found out it didn't fit after I had two completely done...

I guess tomorrow I have to sit down and redo the math to figure out how wide it should be. It's to late tonight. :sleep

I've turned my heels! I went to the park today with lunch and let the children play whilst I crocheted! I took a pic of the first sock, the short row heel is interesting looking. I've started up the leg on the first sock and set it down to start up the second leg.

It's definitely worth it to work both socks at once!

I've been wanting to crochet socks for this winter...I've just moved to NW Tennessee from South Central Mississippi. I've not worn socks in the winter for almost 10 years! I am going to HAVE to have some warm socks...my toesies will turn blue otherwise!

:angel

Well here are a pair of finished socks--both of them! :lol I have one of two people in mind for these. If they don't fit either person, I will have to find someone else... (or keep them) :D I already have a second pair started, using the South Bay toe up socks pattern. I really like these so far! Well here's the finished pair:

th_dd7ab7b3.jpg

(Image is clickable for close up.)

:photo

Tina

Timeless Creations

I've been interested in socks since day one. However, I am concerned about warpage and slouching. Do crochet socks get out of shape and work their way down into your shoes? Does the ankle never fit properly? I've seen so many pictures that I've thought, "If I walked around for an hour in those, they'd be halfway off my feet..."

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Well I finished the first sock lst night.... Now, I just have to wait for the yarn for the second one to come in.... I hate it when I dont' have neough yarn to finish a project......

Oh well, maybe I can figure out what the toe turned out so pointy while I'm waiting on my yarn.

I've been interested in socks since day one. However, I am concerned about warpage and slouching. Do crochet socks get out of shape and work their way down into your shoes?

It really depends on a number of things. How you adjust your gauge, what yarn you are using (wool blend yarns have a better memory than acrylic and bounces back to the dimensions of the item), etc. So if you use a wool-blend sock yarn (like Regia, Lorna's Laces, Kroy Socks, Koigu, Cherry Tree Hill, etc) it typically won't get out of shape at all.

If you do have problems with, say, the stitch pattern at the top not being stretchy enough (The Crochet Me In Your Shoes pattern is a good stretchy one), you can also run thin elastic at the top of the cuff. You can't really see it, and it works great if you accidentally make a sock too big at the top. :)

Ok, please add me! I made my first sock last night (which turned out too big) and I'm making it's partner right now... I really like making my own socks, now it's just a matter of making sure they fit right!!!

Archived