63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Hi JulieKay,

Thank you so very much!!

It started out as a true scrap afghan, but then I started buying co-ordinating shades of the same colors....I'd use them together and then I'd use them with other colors that they would go nicely with. The only unifying features are the center of each square is ecru and the 5th round is black, and they're joined with black.

As for patience......well, it did take me almost 9 yrs to finish it. I just kinda piddled around with it in between other projects.

I really haven't thought of who I'd pass it down to. I just made an afghan for one son as a wedding gift. I'd like to make one for each of my other two sons within the next year or two.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's a great idea to make an afghan for each of your kids . Those are items that can never be replaced . I have a quilt that my grandma made and I wouldn't part with it for all the money in the world . That's something that money can't buy or replace .

What does the wedding afghan look like that you made for your son ?

Julie,

Apparently I forgot to creat a proper link on the page with the granny square afghan.....if you go back again and click the 'next' button it will take you to the wedding afghan, and after that two pages of my squares for the 63 Squares CAL. I'm so glad I caught this.......thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sleepystitcher: You've made some very good stuff there! The granny square afghan is just stunning! I am approaching the granny square stitch in my project ... and am getting a bit nervous since I've never been successful with this before! :( Hope my fate would change this time! :)

Julie : Thanks a lot ... I really love the bushy stitch. Sure I would send the link to Donna ... thanks for reminding.

Agnes,

It took me forever to learn the granny square, but once I did...........well, you see what happened. LOL Anyway, if you can get the second round, which is what forms the corners, you've got it licked.

Great work, your sure farther then I am, I'm still so busy with my baby afghan too for coming grandchild & of course there's Mother's Day! Love all your pictures:clap

I finally got my #8 square mastered. :clap I just put it to one side, and went on with the rest. I came back to it after finishing #15 Granny square. And for some reason it just worked right. I don't know why I couldn't get it right before, but I sure am glad I'm done with it now.

I never thought I crocheted tight. But I guess I was wrong. I've had to go up at least one or two hook sizes for most of the blocks, but when I had to go up to a "K" for the Granny square I came to the conclusion I crochet tight. :think

I'm putting it to one side for a little while. I have a baby afghan to do for my niece who is due in July. As soon as I finish that, it's back to the 63 Squares for me. :hook

I am working on square # 23! As soon as I graduate I will have more time to work on it. Maybe!

Everyone is making granny square afghans. I have made one, but it's not like any I have seen. Like the one in our 63 squares book, you just continue around. And the ones I have seen look the same. The one I did, you go around and then once you get back to the starting point, you turn and work the opposite direction. So after every round you turn. This was the way I was "shown", so I have no actual pattern. Has anyone ever seen or done a granny square pattern like this?

Happy stitching!

:devil

Does anybody know where my book got to? I'm itching to work on it and I can't find it! I'll buy another one if I have to, but where is the darn thing!? :think

:clapI just bought the booklet yesterday! I know I'm starting off a bit late, but want to try to complete it too!

I took this project out of the closet to look at it again :lol I have 14/63 done and will try to get a couple done this weekend.

I wanna do this as well :( I just need to find the book to get started on it. I was just at Wal-Mart yesterday and didnt think to look for it. Of course, this wal-mart has moved everything around, and I think they have less yarn now :( and even lesser books. SOoooooo I am going to have to go to Tulsa, to Hobby Lobby and look for it.

My Wal-Mart didn't have it, I looked. Michaels did but I had already reordered it online since I can't find the first one. At least now I have definite inspiration to finish the darn thing! :clap

I hate joining squares. I detest whipstitching and have trouble finishing off small projects. I have a Christmas afghan that's upteen years old that's still waiting to metamorphose from a stack of blocks into a useable form. I never make afghans that are blocks, motifs or strips. Nope. Not me. Uh-uh. I hate 'em. HATE THEM!

(Hey! Who stuck this damn pattern book in my shopping cart? I am NOT doing this, do you hear me?! No! It is evil! Eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllll!!!!!)

I know what you mean about joining the squares. Every time I say I'll never do another square afghan again, but doing different patterns is so much more exciting than doing the same thing over and over for a couple of months. I've actually been working on mine since Sept '04 and am just now joining my 7 strips of 9 squares. I'm looking forward to getting it done and working on some other projects. Welcome newbies, have fun and don't sweat it when you have to frog and frog again.

I'm so glad someone started a crochet-a-long for this pattern. I haven't started yet but this will be my first Big Project as a crocheter. I want to use Wool-Ease, not sure on colors yet though. I will probably use more than 3 colors as I doubt I will be able to find enough yarn in the same dye lot to just have 3 colors.

I hate joining squares. I detest whipstitching and have trouble finishing off small projects. I have a Christmas afghan that's upteen years old that's still waiting to metamorphose from a stack of blocks into a useable form. I never make afghans that are blocks, motifs or strips. Nope. Not me. Uh-uh. I hate 'em. HATE THEM!

(Hey! Who stuck this damn pattern book in my shopping cart? I am NOT doing this, do you hear me?! No! It is evil! Eeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllll!!!!!)

Jen, we are two of a kind! I also hate joining, weaving in ends, and assembling. I don't know why I joined this CAL of all the ones to join, but I reasoned that I had 63 opportunities to assemble this monster and by golly I'm going to do it! I didn't say when though :)

I don't whipstitch my squares/strips together anymore, I sl st them together, it's easier to me and I like it better.

:frog

I like to slip stitch also. I detest sewing them together.

Oooh I like. I really like the purple instead of the rose in the original - it was rose, right?

I really need to get back to mine... just as soon as I finish the romper. And Secret Pal projects. And my sweater... and the blankets... and... *sigh*

Archived