Beach Blanket Brim Hat

gaylefrancisdesigns

wide_brim_side-1.jpg

wide_brim_complete.jpg

I'm incredibly fair-skinned, so I like a hat with a huge brim to keep my face from melting off during the hot months. I came up with this pattern back in February of last year, and I've just now gotten it perfected. It's a fairly easy pattern and can be made up in either a straight acrylic or acrylic/cotton blend for best results.

The pattern can be purchased here.

I love feedback no matter what.

Gayle

That is one cool hat. I don't wear them, but if I could, I would sure wear this one. It will be great for the sun down here also. I suffer like you do with fair skin (redhead complection).:hook

I so badly need a hat like this!! My problem is, I cannot wear hats since my head is 24 inches around. Is your pattern capable of being made bigger??

I so badly need a hat like this!! My problem is, I cannot wear hats since my heads is 24 inches around. Is your pattern capable of being made bigger??

I've written the pattern for heads 20"-24" around, and the larger head size instructions are very easy. I'm also always willing to help anyone if there's a hiccup as they're working.

Gayle

That is one cool hat. I don't wear them, but if I could, I would sure wear this one. It will be great for the sun down here also. I suffer like you do with fair skin (redhead complection).:hook

Then you're slightly fairer than me, which is really saying something!

::Hands you sunscreen::

Gayle

Thanks for the reply about the size. :) One more question: where do you find hemp/cotton yarn? I've never seen that. I would need either something like that or pure cotton, though, since acrylic and my skin don't get along very well.

Thanks for the reply about the size. :) One more question: where do you find hemp/cotton yarn? I've never seen that. I would need either something like that or pure cotton, though, since acrylic and my skin don't get along very well.

Pure hemp/cotton blends can be hard to come by.

http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Elsebeth_Lavold-Hempathy_Yarn-3487.html

This is a hemp/cotton/nylon blend that could work really wall, as nylon gets worked into yarn for its stretchability factor. Keep in mind that the stretchability of the yarn can alter how it fits. You may not need to go to 96 to have this hat fit comfortably, and you may need to go a little larger than that since this is a DK weight yarn [meaning it's slightly lighter than worsted weight, but not as light as sportweight].

In short, some experimentation will be in order, but as long as you're willing to have a hiccup here and there, you'll find a way to make a hat that'll fit your perfectly.

Gayle

Picked up my hemp stash yesterday! Really, I brought home some Hempathy! The cashier was very interested in the pattern so she wrote down your site address. I was wondering how this would work with jute?

Picked up my hemp stash yesterday! Really, I brought home some Hempathy! The cashier was very interested in the pattern so she wrote down your site address. I was wondering how this would work with jute?

I've never worked with jute, but as it appears to be part of the hemp-type of yarn, I'm definitely interested in seeing how it works up. I'll have to add it to my fibers list as a "try-out". My only concern would be the coarseness, but it looks like that's simply a matter of paying attention to texture.

Thanks for the question; I love finding new yarn!

Gayle

Archived