Brenda's little star afghan

gramhouse115

Question

15 answers to this question

I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but I had a very hard time with that pattern. I couldn't get the stitch and skip counting right (it just didn't jive), and it wouldn't lay flat for me :think. Maybe the curling was because I used a sport weight baby yarn instead of worsted? But I still haven't figured out what I did wrong in counting the stitches. The v-decrease didn't land in the same place as the previous row, and I always had an extra stitch to add that didn't fit when approaching the points.

I finally gave up. I felt like a failure. :(

--Lee

Lee, don't feel bad because I had the exact same problem. Can't help you tho because, I too, gave up on it. Well, didn't actually give up....just put it aside (along with Sylvia Cosh's sweater) until I feel I can concentrate totally on it. :knit

Thanx Deneen! It was driving me crazy. Now I can finish this! I'm thinking of using the The Magic Adjustable Ring that CrochetMe uses on her bath pouf as I don't care much for the center hole. :ty again. :knit

OK....forgetting the Magic Adjustable Ring. It is either too tight or too loose. Going back to plan B (plan A being the original pattern that confused me).

I still wasn't real happy with the corrected instructions given earlier so I did this:

Round 1: Ch 4, join with sl st to form ring; ch 7 (counts as first DC and ch 3). DC, ch 3 (4 times); join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch 7; ch 3.

(5 DC & 5 ch-sp made)

Round 2: continue as original pattern states

Now it's flowing like everyone says it should. Thanx for everyone's help with this. :knit

I have no idea what I was doing wrong, but I had a very hard time with that pattern. I couldn't get the stitch and skip counting right (it just didn't jive), and it wouldn't lay flat for me :think. Maybe the curling was because I used a sport weight baby yarn instead of worsted? But I still haven't figured out what I did wrong in counting the stitches. The v-decrease didn't land in the same place as the previous row, and I always had an extra stitch to add that didn't fit when approaching the points.

I finally gave up. I felt like a failure. :(

--Lee

Lee, maybe you were doing what I was doing....pattern reads (using Round 4 as example)

Round 4: Sl st in next st, ch 3, 1 dc in next 3 dc, shell, *4 dc, sk 2 dc, 4 dc, shell. Repeat from * to 5th point. 4 dc, sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch to join. (70 dc/5 ch-2 spaces).

After you did the Shell (in the shell below) when you went to put the 4 dc in....did you put the first dc in the most visable dc below? Or did you push the shell to the right just a little to expose the 'hidden' dc under it? If you push the shell aside and put the first of 4 dcs in that 'hidden' dc, then the stitch count works out and everything lines up as it should.

I WILL conquer this Star Afghan! :::singing::: Just what makes that little ol' ant, think he can move a rubber tree plant..... :hook

Lee, maybe you were doing what I was doing....pattern reads (using Round 4 as example)

Round 4: Sl st in next st, ch 3, 1 dc in next 3 dc, shell, *4 dc, sk 2 dc, 4 dc, shell. Repeat from * to 5th point. 4 dc, sl st in 3rd ch of beginning ch to join. (70 dc/5 ch-2 spaces).

After you did the Shell (in the shell below) when you went to put the 4 dc in....did you put the first dc in the most visable dc below? Or did you push the shell to the right just a little to expose the 'hidden' dc under it? If you push the shell aside and put the first of 4 dcs in that 'hidden' dc, then the stitch count works out and everything lines up as it should.

I WILL conquer this Star Afghan! :::singing::: Just what makes that little ol' ant, think he can move a rubber tree plant..... :hook

Thank you Diamond!! Yup. That slip stitch threw me once or twice, too. I tried it three times. Now I'm psyched for the fourth! I love that pattern, but just could NOT make the stitch count work and also keeping it from curling. Do you think it will also work in a sport weight baby yarn? I wanted to do it in Bernat's Coordinates (Daisy Yellow, White, and Blue Bon Bon) ::chug, chug:: "I think I can...I think I can" :)

Now, how does one print out a post here????

--Lee

Thank you Diamond!! Yup. That slip stitch threw me once or twice, too. I tried it three times. Now I'm psyched for the fourth! I love that pattern, but just could NOT make the stitch count work and also keeping it from curling. Do you think it will also work in a sport weight baby yarn? I wanted to do it in Bernat's Coordinates (Daisy Yellow, White, and Blue Bon Bon) ::chug, chug:: "I think I can...I think I can" :)

Now, how does one print out a post here????

--Lee

Hi Lee...I'm working with LBs Pound of Love (White & Mint) which is a worsted weight with a size J hook. The gauge for LBs is 16scx20-4" whereas the gauge for Bernats is 22sts-30rows=4" Both suggest using a G hook. You might want to try using an H hook instead of the G if it's curling. If it's still curling, go to a J hook.

To print: I copy & paste the parts I want into a blank word document or blank email if using AOL (seems faster opening a new mail than opening Word in AOL & only if I don't intend saving the file). Then print. Or you can go up top of your screen to File/Print

The only part of the pattern that got me was the beggining when you ch 7 or whatever & then ch3 and then it say's to sc or whatever into the first st I put a note on the pattern that when it's say to put the stitch into the first ch do that into the original first ch not each first ch of the ch 3 s.After I got that the pattern was a breeze :)

I just started one in Bernat Cotton Tots. Once I figured out which chain to put the stitches in, the first row was easy. But I would have freaked out over it if it wasn't for this thread. :D

Well, I did it. Have to put the edging on it, but it's done! I'll post a picture tomorrow most likely. Like everyone else, once I got it started, it was easy. Turned out really pretty, too. It's for my nephew's baby that's expected in July. It's a boy! So I did it in mint green & white. Have other afghans I'm going to make for him in blue so didn't want to over-do the blue. :knit

Archived