Help! Can someone measure a two-year-old's head for me?

Hi, all:

My husband's first-cousin-once-removed's birthday is next weekend; she'll be two. I'd like to make the lacy shells poncho at http://www.luv2crochet.com/freepatterns.html but I have no idea what the circumference of the kid's head is because I've never actually met her. I don't want to ask her parents because a) I don't want to tip them off, and b) I've never met them and it seems strange to call and say "Hi, I'm cousin Bob's wife, how big is your kid's head?"

Can someone out there who has access to a small-to-average-sized two-year old please measure and let me know the measurement of the child's head around the forehead? Please oh please oh please? I don't want to estimate because I truly have no recollection of toddler head size. I can definitely tell that my kid's version of this poncho is way too big for a little kid because I made it to fit her at six but I doubt that I just divide her measurements by three.

Thanks in advance. I really, really appreciate it.

Best,

Elissa

Thank you all so much for your help! It looks like 19" is probably going to be big enough to fit over her head without falling off her shoulders and fit for at least a season. Thank you!!!

The stupid thing now is that even though I have drawers and drawers of yarn, none of them are a nice basic kid-friendly yarn that's the right kind of color for this. The question is...can I buy just the one skein I need?

Thanks again,

Elissa

Archived