Ambitious WIP wire crochet beaded purse

Kathleen

WOWSERS! That looks great. I tried to crochet with wire and beads a few weeks ago. The woman at the shop told me I needed 26 gauge wire but it's still too stiff and came out wonky.

That's great that your bags sold for that much! I think that's totally worth it for how much effort it takes.

great job!!

Bec

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Yep, the wire tears up your tension finger, but you pad it well and keep going. The thinner the wire, the easier to crochet. I found 30 gauge is the best because it is pliable enough to work with, but strong enough to not break.

The wire is very cheap (if you buy it in the florist section of the craft store, and not the jewlery section) The beads are a little pricey at about $4 a bag, and you need about 10 bags. Its also a good idea to have a pair of jewlery pliers/wire cutters. The pointy tips are great for twisting sections where the tension went wonky (you CANNOT frog a wire project without comprimising the strength of your wire)

This is a pic of the beads I'm using:

112_1236.jpg

And this is what the supplies look like before I started.

112_1231.jpg

Well, I'll post again when I get more finished.

Thanks again for all the nice comments!

Your work is great!! Very pretty. How long have you been doing that kind of crochet? It is just beautiful. How many hours does it take for one of those? I would love to try a little project to see if it is something I like. :cheer:manyheart:cheer

that is beautiful! I wish I had just an ounce of your patience! I'm glad to hear that your hard work is appreciated in the fact that you can sell it for what you deserve!

:drool Terrific! How on earth do you assemble them? Do you end up lining them and putting handles and such on them?

Do you have any pictures of some of the ones you have made previously?

That is beautiful !!!! I'd love to learn your technique for that...although I have a feeling I would have beads EVERYWHERE! And with a three year old..that's probably NOT a good idea ! :(

Amazing work ! :manyheart

All I have to say is WOW:yay I would not even know how to even start doing something like that. Do you make your chain first then put the beads on or do you put the beads on before the chain? Seems kinda confusing. But very good job. That is also a great idea for a lipstick holder to :0) Or a thing to hold your sunglasses in. Wow there are so many ideas you can do with crocheting beads, I must learn how to do that.

Okay so who is going to teach me? LOL:devil

Thanks Again everyone!

:drool Terrific! How on earth do you assemble them? Do you end up lining them and putting handles and such on them?

Do you have any pictures of some of the ones you have made previously?

I assemble them by folding it using a flap top. I crocheting along the edges adding beads with each stitch so you don't see the wire. I make a long-- short--or no handel (cluch style) I've also made removable handles, though its difficult to find the hardware for this. It all depending on the preference of the client/friend I am making it for. Most people like a long handle/shoulder strap. It is also a beaded crochet strap that is unlined. I DO line the purse with black/white or pink velvet, depending on the preference of the client/friend.

Well, I'm almost done with the body of the purse, now to assemble and make the handle.

Archived