Baby Blanket Advice Needed

Sue89

Question

I'm planning to make a blanket for my nephew who's due in June. What I'm wondering is if I need to use baby yarn for it, or if worsted weight is okay as long as it's a blanket and not clothing. The pattern I'm using is what I think some call the round ripple (looks like an 8-pointed star). It's the pattern in Leisure Arts New Crochet Basics, and they call for "worsted weight brushed acrylic yarn." I'm not even sure what brushed acrylic is.:think Will regular worsted weight be too rough for a baby?

17 answers to this question

I have made afghans with Mainstays yarn as well. The first time I used it I was impressed with how it didn't fuzz up at all no matter how many times I had to frog. Since then I've had some that did fuzz so I guess it's hit or miss. If I'm not using RH I'm using Mainstays.

I have used mainstay I really like it

I done an afghan out of it for the fair and I got a sweepstakes ribbon red white and blue, really nice feeling yarn. [i like the Red Heart Rebels]

I love that pattern you are talking about. I haven't made it yet, but probably will soon. I agree that the RH will be fine, but have you ever tried the Mainstay brand that Walmart sells. It is very inexpensive - 1.77 for 8z solid & 6z verg. I was impressed at how soft it seems to work up. Just a thought. Let us see it when you get finished, ok?

I hadn't thought about that. Babies do suck on everything. I'm glad I asked here first. I feel a lot better about using worsted weight now. Now I've just got to get myself a skein of white so I can get started. :bounce

I have to agree with Rebecca here...I got a little off topic with my post lol. I also wanted to add that cotton is always a good choice when it comes to baby items. It's soft, super durable and it doesn't pill.

adding my thoughts:

i wouldn't make a baby blanket out of anything "brushed"

babies put everything in their mouths... the fuzzies will get in the babes mouth and choke and gag them...

as they get older (2ish), i think the fuzzies and light&lofty and such is fine....

homespun might be okay.... it doesnt' really "fuzz"

just my :2c

My husband and I live on a single income and Red Heart is my godsend since it's affordable and imo looks decent. I still buy specialty yarns from time to time but have never bought wool. I've seen gorgeous baby blankets made from ww acrylic and in my experience they hold up much better since you're constantly washing them!

I'll jump on the Red Heart Rebel bandwagon. I'd be happy to make some buttons too lol!

I say Go For It!

It's a gift of love and you should have fun making it -- not bust your bank acct. ;) I try not to use fuzzy yarn for baby ghans because mom's have told me it can be dangerous. Plus, you want this ghan to be used, so easy care is always a good thing.

Have fun and hope you can share a pic when you are done.

Empress Busy Bee

You are my kind of gal!! :lol Im in a dinky little town we dont even have a grocery store, and I love my town!!

I work the same way and I use red heart. Have also used it for years.

I have to drive 30 miles to get to a ww.

Sure, that helps. The yarn I have in mind is actually plain old Red Heart in a pretty shade of sage green which I would contrast with white, as I really can't afford the more expensive yarns. I haven't made up my mind for sure yet, so that's why I needed input. :U

I made baby blankets for years out of Red Heart regular old ww. It was all that was available in my dinky little town and it was before the internet and online ordering. I didn't even order from catalogs, didn't know you could do such a thing. LOL

My intent was for the blanket to last past newborness anyway. Plus I tend to be a bit of a rebel. I use yarn and hook size I want, don't do a gauge check, and make them as big or as little as I want.

Um, that didn't help you did it.

:rofl

That's okay, sjkmaurice. Sometimes I get fixated on these smilies, too.:lol

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm thinking that if this is a blanket intended to be used as a mat for a baby to roll around on rather than to wrap him in, it might be okay to use a not-so-delicate yarn.

Lion brand Jiffy is an example of brushed acrylic. It's supposed to look like mohair.:cheer Sorry. My 2 1/2 year old insisted I add this to the message. Anyway, I have had good luck with plain acrylic yarn in making baby sweaters, and they turn out softer after I wash, so maybe you should make up a swatch and wash it and see if you like the texture.

Archived