Irritating Patterns Vent

Don't you just HATE it when there is a pattern you really want to make... You buy the pattern, you buy the yarn, you get all excited, and then, when you settle in to make it, it is the most irritating pattern to work.

This just happened to me with the Sweet Pea shawl from the Happy Hooker book. I've been planning to make it for weeks. I finally had a coupon for the bookstore, and I treated myself to a trip to the LYS to get some new yarn for it... I HATE THIS PATTERN! IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

It isn't hard, it's just boring and awkward. I have having to pay super-close attention to something so repetitive just b/c it uses a weird stitch.

What really sucks it that I wanted to wear it out tomorrow night so I'm determined to finish it... Grr.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I've had that happen to me too. I bought a pattern book a few years ago. I got done one square and gave up. I've tried to go back to it over the years but I get too frustrated. argghhh

What I hate is when the patterns have the wrong numbers in them. I had one pattern last summer that took me a month to figure out because the repeats were numbered wrong and then the number of stitches were almost always off ... To make matters worse, I didn't like the sweater as much as I thought I would when it was finally finished!!

The Sweet Pea Shawl wasn't one of my favorites to work either....buy it comes together nicely in the end. (Especially after you add the fringe) I think it is the funky double-triple stitch that makes it awkward at first.:eek

It is disappointing when a pattern is not what you expected...

:ladybug

I am so sorry to hear that, did you know that there is a CAL for this particular pattern? Maybe joining it will help you with the stitch?

I made one, and it turned out simply gorgeous, so I gotta tell you that it is SO worth it in the end.

I bought that pattern from Nexstitch before it was in the HH book, and I've only made one. I remember being frustrated too but persevered. All the same it came out really nice. What I find that is SOOOO much better buying Aime's pattern's at Nexstitch directly from her site is that she includes TONS of color photo's and pages and pages of "how to's" with her patterns. Much better than what the HH book had to offer. I know you've already bought the book, but if you're having that much trouble, I'd say go ahead and bite the bullet and buy that pattern from Nexstitch, it will probably help you. Or since you have bought the book already, maybe if you ask Aime reeel nice like, she might go ahead and send you the color photo how-to's on this pattern. It's worth a shot. I guarantee you'll be very happy with it. I just can't say enough about how well her patterns are laid out and explained, when you buy them directly from her.

I've run across patterns that are too generally written, leaving you questioning about what you're really supposed to do...If I'm given too much room for creative interpretation, it won't be pretty. Ambiguous patterns unnerve me! Good luck.

Yeah, I have a problem with patterns that are too generally written too. (Seraphina Shawl) I love the shawl, and tones of ppl here have made it..............but I just don't understand how to do it!!!!

So, I made the butterfly wing shawl, pattern from here. it's great! I've made two of those shawls. well, 1 1/2. lol 1 is still a wip. I can't decide if i've got enough yarn to finish it, or i should do some stripes with another color. decisions,decisions. lol

Thanks everyone. I realized that I wouldn't finish it by tonight and the next time I'd want to wear it is at the end of the month so I'm setting it aside for a couple of days. I may try to work a couple rows in a different yarn and see if that makes it any easier for me (I was using Silky Tweed and it is incredibly limp so I wonder if that is part of my issue).

Archived