Never tried thread crochet...

eebrs

Is it difficult to do? My mom indicated that it was, but didn't elaborate. Is it just difficult because it's small and hard to see or is it too tedious? Are the patterns more complicated? Is it possible to work a regular yarn pattern with thread?

What is your best tip/hint on thread crochet?

I don't do a lot of thread work but I don't think it's all that hard to do. It does take a bit to get used to holding a thinner hook and a narrower thread. Some of the doily patterns can be complicated but then again so can afghan patterns with ww yarn. There are times when I turn to thread so that I can take a break from yarn. I would recommend you try making a bookmark or a small doily/coaster and see how you like it.

HI eebrs,

Working with thread really isn't that difficult, it just takes some getting use to. I am fairly new at thread, I've only worked with thread abt 8/9 months now and I have been crocheting abt 19/20 yrs. I right now still work with size 10 and have enjoyed it a lot. I have even taken the challenge of testing doilies and just got done testing one for Kathy (Katchkan).

If seeing the thread is a problem I use a pair of reading glasses to help as the last time I went to the eye Dr. he set me up for distance so anything close or small I need reading glasses.

I say jump in and give it a try, it is fun and you can make so many other beautiful things, it just takes practice to get the tension right.

Pam

If you try it with the attitude of a new adventure, it really isn't tough or alot of us wouldn't be doing it. I always tell people to just think of it as skinny yarn and crochet. If you know the basics you can crochet most anything in thread. And yes you can use any yarn pattern you like in thread. a Pattern is a pattern. a stitch is a stitch. It's just the size of the thread and the hook that changes. So give it a try. You'll find a lot of people rooting and cheering for you.

I agree with all of the above. If you do have a hard time getting started keep a ball with hook (I suggest starting with #10 & 7 hook) next to your regular stuff and one day it will suddenly be easier than you thought.

You'll love it once you start!

Give it a try, I taught my 11 year old grandaugher to do thread crochet and she loves it. It does take some getting used to, but it isn't hard. Just work your way down, 4 ply yarn to sport yarn, to 3 ply thread to # 10 thread and before you know it you will be crocheting with size 30 thread........ Be careful because once you get started it is very addicting..... GOOD LUCK

Archived