Aargh, must use organic cotton?

It is much more pricey, but I recently heard about the gross use of pesticides in growing cotton (see http://www.ota.com/organic/environment/cotton_environment.html ) .. the cotton industry uses 25% of all insecticides used throughout the entire world. Yikes. And I had just picked out a bunch of colors of Sugar'n cream to order :( Bernat and Lionbrand both make organic cotton yarns now but there are very few colors and they are much more expensive.

:sigh

This is a huge area of concern for me too! I just discovered crocheting and all the fabulous yarn but in the back of my head it keeps bugging me that these yarns are probably full of unhealthy stuff! I've tried to ignore this fact so far but am glad to start seeing some organic yarn!! I am really into organics, non-gmo, and avoid antibiotic laden foods for me and the family but when it comes to this new hobby...I've had to ignore the obvious (to me anyway) and just enjoy the other benefits of crocheting...stress relief and awesome projects.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are more organic yarns out there and I think it's going to continue because more and more people are becoming aware of the dangers of the chemicals this country uses in many farming areas!! I'm going to TRY to get more organic yarn when possible but I figure that I really try to do my part in others areas and as I can't be perfect in all areas!!

I am going to check out the yarn from lion brand...i've seen the bernat brand. Thanks for the info...can you tell I'm a little obsessive about this issue:lol

Wouldn't the heat of the dyeing process eliminate the pesticides? I really don't know anything about this! I never really gave it any thought! And, what about the heat in the dying process? Does it change the pesticides? And if so, for the better or does it make it more harmfull? Now my mind is really going! My youngest daughter is very concerned about organics, pesticides and health issues, now I will have to do some research.

Kim

I'll have to get me that yarn from now on, because most of the yarn that I use is cotton, and just the thought of all those pesticides gives me the chills already.

I do hope that there is little insecticide residue on the cotton -- it's awfully creepy.:worried But my other main concern is buying a fiber that supports such heavy use of insecticides. 25% of the world's use is an enormous amount. Why couldn't it be some other fiber that is more easy to avoid???

I've thought a lot about my environmental impact lately, I just started using all natural cleaning products like borax, vinegar, etc. (and they work well, I can't believe that I paid much more for products that don't work any better anyway!). I

I agree, my main concern with cottons (and other plant and animal products) is not so much what ends up on the final product, but everything else that's left behind in the environment. I wish the organics came in more colors, brighter colors. I guess you can always buy the white and dye it yourself, but there are so many bad chemicals in dies as well... aargh....

Wouldn't the heat of the dyeing process eliminate the pesticides?

Maybe in the yarn, but that won't negate the impact on the environment. I think that one way to avoid the pesticide issue is to use wool or acrylic.

• 2 weeks later...

Something of a solution ... I bought a bunch of sweaters from the thrift store for a few bucks and am unraveling them to "recycle" the yarn. You wouldn't believe how much yarn goes into a man's sweater! Well you probably would, but I had no idea! I have a bunch of cotton yarn for now, then, at least!

I agree, my main concern with cottons (and other plant and animal products) is not so much what ends up on the final product, but everything else that's left behind in the environment. I wish the organics came in more colors, brighter colors. I guess you can always buy the white and dye it yourself, but there are so many bad chemicals in dies as well... aargh....

Can't you use the koolaid method to dye cotton?

Something of a solution ... I bought a bunch of sweaters from the thrift store for a few bucks and am unraveling them to "recycle" the yarn. You wouldn't believe how much yarn goes into a man's sweater! Well you probably would, but I had no idea! I have a bunch of cotton yarn for now, then, at least!

What an interesting idea.

Koolaid would stain cotton but would not dye cotton. It works for wool fibers because wool fibers are protein fibers.

A much better choice to dye cotton would be procion dyes the same dyes tie dyer use. This dye actually binds with the cellouse fiber of cotton. This dye is reasonably safe for the environment and to use. I would say it's non toxic.

Keep in mind anything you dye with is likely to be toxic. Many of the mordants used to make natural dyes color fast are toxic.

• 4 weeks later...

You might also want to check out the organic cotton from Blue Sky. It's awesome and it's yardage is better for the price than the Lion (haven't checked on the Bernat).

Yarnmarket.com also has a new-ish section devoted solely to eco-friendly yarns and also carries the Lantern Moon line of products which is a company that was formed to bring jobs and Fair Trade wages to impoverished people in Vietnam (and the products are of excellent quality). They have several bamboos, recycled cottons and silk, organic wool. I don't think they carry the Blue Sky line, so I usually buy that at yarn.com.

You might also want to check out the organic cotton from Blue Sky. It's awesome and it's yardage is better for the price than the Lion (haven't checked on the Bernat).....

I second that. Blue Sky is cheaper per yard than Lion Brand, and it's realllly soft. It's more like working with soft, natural yarn than kitchen cotton.

echoing your sentiments on the impact of cotton on the environment, but am not so sure organic cotton is such a good alternative as organic plants are just as thirsty as the sprayed ones. I understood a large part of cottons impact on the environment was the amount of extra irrigation it needed.

I find fingeringweight wool as cool for garments and am gonna try using hemp as thats a minium impact plant , has anyone else used hemp as i'm worried it will be a little stiff.

You know...I'm not ever gonna stop using whatever is available to make things with...I'm not gonna jump on the organic cotton yarn bandwagon...we are exposed to so much stuff that I just can't believe for a minute that buying organic cotton sheets or yarn is gonna make that big of a difference right now. It's always a toss up about things like this...heavy use of pesticides may not be good, but neither is smoking or living in a town (where I live) where cement is made...or constantly being exposed to gas fumes from passing automobiles, no matter how environmentally friendly the cars are...

One thing I do for myself at the moment though is buy organic eggs because that has made a difference in my health...regular eggs make my throat close up, but I don't have the same problem with organic.

Besides I'm personally offended that what is healthier for you in terms of organic food or "organic" cotton is more expensive...and I just don't think it should be that way. Healthy should not be those with lots of money, it should be for everyone...so I'm not rushing out to buy "organic" cotton yarn until ALL THE YARN IS DEEMED ORGANIC...

You know...I'm not ever gonna stop using whatever is available to make things with...I'm not gonna jump on the organic cotton yarn bandwagon...we are exposed to so much stuff that I just can't believe for a minute that buying organic cotton sheets or yarn is gonna make that big of a difference right now. It's always a toss up about things like this...heavy use of pesticides may not be good, but neither is smoking or living in a town (where I live) where cement is made...or constantly being exposed to gas fumes from passing automobiles, no matter how environmentally friendly the cars are...

One thing I do for myself at the moment though is buy organic eggs because that has made a difference in my health...regular eggs make my throat close up, but I don't have the same problem with organic.

Besides I'm personally offended that what is healthier for you in terms of organic food or "organic" cotton is more expensive...and I just don't think it should be that way. Healthy should not be those with lots of money, it should be for everyone...so I'm not rushing out to buy "organic" cotton yarn until ALL THE YARN IS DEEMED ORGANIC...

3 words for you: Supply and Demand.

Until there is more of a DEMAND for organic and all-natural and Fair Trade products, there will be less of a SUPPLY and therefore, the items will be more expensive.

When EVERYONE starts PURCHASING eco-friendly products, that is when EVERYTHING will be produced in eco-friendly ways. When the consumer stands up and says, "I will not participate in the desecration of the planet, I won't buy your product until you produce it with as little environmental impact as possible," that is when the companies will listen.

That is EXACTLY it! Supply and demand is key for any product. Awhile back, they were pushing for Genetically engineered food to be considered organic. The only reason why it is not is because of the consumers protests. Because many consumers are now demanding foods that have not been modified or raised using chemicals, they are provided for us. As long as we choose to make a demand for certain products, they will become more readily available and the cost eventually becomes closer to even with the cost of the "normal" product.

3 words for you: Supply and Demand.

Well said, Me&P. Heaven help us if change could only be made by everyone on earth acting in unison on something! It all starts with a few....

I don't believe that the cotton industry uses 25% of all the pesticides in the world. If interested, check out the books A Mathematican Reads the Newspaper for the thinking process behind why I don't buy that statistic. :book

However, I am very interested in reducing the impact of what I do in the environment. Here's a link to a CAL about crocheting with plarn, which reduces how many of those barely biodegradable plastic shopping bags make it to the landfill. I have to say, I'm very addicted. It's fun, free to crochet with plarn (hooray for free! :2c), and definitely environmentally-friendly.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49768

Also, the summer 2007 edition of Knit.1 is all about "Knitting Green," and it appears to be mostly about ways to reduce the impact of yarn production on the environment. Check it out. :earth

~ Joy

I don't believe that the cotton industry uses 25% of all the pesticides in the world. If interested, check out the books A Mathematican Reads the Newspaper for the thinking process behind why I don't buy that statistic. :book

However, I am very interested in reducing the impact of what I do in the environment. Here's a link to a CAL about crocheting with plarn, which reduces how many of those barely biodegradable plastic shopping bags make it to the landfill. I have to say, I'm very addicted. It's fun, free to crochet with plarn (hooray for free! :2c), and definitely environmentally-friendly.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49768

Also, the summer 2007 edition of Knit.1 is all about "Knitting Green," and it appears to be mostly about ways to reduce the impact of yarn production on the environment. Check it out. :earth

~ Joy

Yup, I am all for crocheting with plastic! I have a pattern for a bag made from "plarn" on my blog too, and I'm on another one but I've run out of plastic bags :P. I always bring cloth bags to the supermarket so I have to beg some off of other people in order to finish my current project! Also on my blog is info on using t-shirt yarn and I'm going to add some more recycled-stuff projects soon.

I'll check out that book sometime, sounds interesting. I know the site I link to is for an organic cotton grower's association but the stats are from an independent consulting agency and the USDA and others, I'm curious to see how that breaks down.

Another good book (though much, much older and perhaps out of print) is How to Lie with Statistics . It's a classic.

Also, I live in cotton country, and it seems like the farmers talk only about three things: the weather, how they're not sure if they're going to break even, and sustainability. The farmers I come into contact with are much more concerned about the environment than our average Dale on the street, and work hard to figure out new ways to improve the environmental-friendliness of their methods.

About plarn - I've also been cutting loops out of other plastics as well, such as the shrink wrap around toilet paper and a bag of socks. I've been able to get some much stronger plastics that way, and also get some really fun colors (and clears!). I also am trying to think of a way to use the pink or blue plastic sleeves that pads come in. I think I can lace them into plarn and make flowers or other decorations on the bag. Is that going overboard? :rose

~ Joy

Having not read the recommended books, I could honestly believe that cotton is responsible for 25% of the pesticides used... Or at least, close to it.

Think about it... How many pounds of cotton are in your home right now? How many pounds of it do you buy every year? It is used for a LOT of things - clothes (blue jeans alone is astounding), towels, bed linens, furniture, fabrics for curtains, rugs, quilts... I couldn't possibly list everything here, but it's pretty overwhelming.

You have to consider the countries that produce most of the cotton like China. It is not like China is known for it's eco-friendly practices (look at the pet food crisis). I took env. sci. and it was always said that cotton growing used a large amount of pesticides. It is the same with peanuts which is why people are starting to use less chemicals especially in the U.S..

I realize that statistics can be misleading but seriously it has been stated for years how many chemicals are used on cotton and when you look at how many things are made of cotton you must realize the impact growing cotton has on the environment.

As to supply and demand I totally believe in that too. When Walmart is announcing it is going to sell organic products you know people are demanding it. Men didn't want to give women the vote either but we got that.

Organic items are "hot" right now. In 50 years from now people will laugh at us using non-organic yarn just like I laugh at how we used to use leaded gasoline.

:soap Rachel

Archived