Tunisian Stitch

I have been crocheting for years, and have often heard of the afghan or tunisian stitch, but have never really searched to learn how to do it. The other day I was reading on here about the Broomstick lace stitch and wanted to learn more. So I opened my crochet stitch bible, and started to play with some of the stitches, including the Tunisian stitch. I couldn't believe what an easy stitch this was. Anyway, now I have found several patterns to use the stitch with and am happily crocheting a hearts and angel ghan for someone in the family. I can think of three who would love this ghan, so I may have to make more. :lol

Please post pic's when you are done. I have taken online classes but have not made any Tunisian afghans yet. I do have a graph I want to do but I guess I am a little scared. I guess I will just have to jump head first and give it a shot.

Rachy, you won't believe this, I like the bamboo hooks, and have moded one to work as an afghan hook. I have four afghan hooks and they don't have the point that my bamboo hook does. They are too rounded and I have trouble getting them between the the stitches to do the first part of the row. So I added a straw and taped it up to my bamboo hook. I was thinking to bring my afghan hooks to work and have the guys grind points onto the tips. Then maybe I could use them.

Chris, I will have to take the camera home tonight so I can take pictures for tomorrow.

I'm a newbie at Tunisian, too, and just finished my first project (not an afghan, but I can't post pics until after my swap partner receives it). I was surprised how easy it was, too, and bought Kim's tunisian baby blanket book so I can try my hand at those. I just wish I could find small Tunisian hooks. The smallest I've found is 4 mm. I've heard about Pony brand hooks, which come in a wide variety of sizes, but I can't seem to find anywhere online to order them. Show some photos of your finished Tunisian objects, please, since I'm totally obsessed with this technique right now. Patty

i used to hate the afghan stitch until i found the larger hooks like L M N P i couldnt magane to do it with the smaller hooks i joined an online group which makes the bigger hooks i bought one it works well about 18 inches long well i wanted a longer one i had my DH make me one the size of an N hook and is about 22 inches long i can fit all my stitches on it and the stitches come out looser and lighter than the smaller hooks i have done 23 afghans so far in the stitch

I just learned the Tunisian crochet, too. It's fun! I recently learned to knit--not well, but I know the basics :lol ---and it is so cool to be able to crochet something and have it look like it's knitted! I am only a few rows into my first Tunisian project--an ipod hoodie--but I think it's neat!! Kind of fun, too, as it's a bit different than typical crochet. I found a website with video tutorials. :hook

I highly recommend http://www.nexstitch.com for all newbies. This site has great videos of crochet stitches including Tunisian stitches. I'm self-taught in Tunisian stitching and this site was a tremendous help.

http://www.chezcrochet.com is THE site to go to for all kinds of Tunisian stitch information. Angela has written Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet and this book is loaded with tons of Tunisian stitches. Encyclopedia #2 will be out in the fall. I can't wait for it! :hook

Hi, Tracey!

I've been wanting to learn how to properly do the tunisian stitch, too - so it won't curl!! I'll hold on to the link posted earlier.

My mom used to make beautiful ghans and embroidered over it...I don't like feeling defeated!:hook

Judi,

Don't feel defeated. It is really easy, only I found I have dropped a couple of stitchs on the second heart, So I really do need to count with this stitch. I get to frog back to where I was when I posted the picture. Oh well. I want it to be right and this is my first time with this stitch. It will be a great learning first panel.

Blue ribbon afghans, I got the book to do a CAL called Blue Star Afghan, so there are links on the first page of the CAL for the pattern book. It also has pattern to do the embroidered ghans as well. This one is Hearts and Angels, I have my work on the angel pattern.

I've tried this, but just can't stop it from curling :angry . What did you do to keep your beginning stitches flat :think ? Or maybe I shouldn't ask. I'll just have something new to try. I'm already having trouble deciding whether to make a quilt-ghan with single tapestry crochet or with little squares. Do I really need to add Tunisian stitch to my list of possibilities? :yes:no

Rita K.

Dayton, OH

Blue ribbon afghans, I got the book to do a CAL called Blue Star Afghan, so there are links on the first page of the CAL for the pattern book. It also has pattern to do the embroidered ghans as well. This one is Hearts and Angels, I have my work on the angel pattern.

I just looked at the pattern, Tracey - :eek :eek :eek

Oh come on Judi, it isn't as bad as it seems.

Rita~ to keep it from curling, on the return stitch just yo and pull through first loop on hook, then *yo and pull through two loops on hook, repeat from * to end. On forward stitch, working in back loops only, insert hook into first chain, yo and pull up loop, go to next chain and repeat across to end. I tend to forget the first forward stitch and so as my second heart progressed, I had dropped 4 stitchs. But with this crochet stitch, I think alot of knitted style patterns can be done with a little modification. This will be a big yippee for me, because I hate knitting, but love some knitted patterns.

Oh come on Judi, it isn't as bad as it seems.

Rita~ to keep it from curling, on the return stitch just yo and pull through first loop on hook, then *yo and pull through two loops on hook, repeat from * to end. On forward stitch, working in back loops only, insert hook into first chain, yo and pull up loop, go to next chain and repeat across to end. I tend to forget the first forward stitch and so as my second heart progressed, I had dropped 4 stitchs. But with this crochet stitch, I think alot of knitted style patterns can be done with a little modification. This will be a big yippee for me, because I hate knitting, but love some knitted patterns.

I'll give it a shot as soon as my "deadline" baby ghans are done...thanks for the tip about the curling - that's what always stymied me, too!:hug

Archived